Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

How much is this help going cost me?
, Ive cannot

Customer Question

Customer: How much is this help going cost me?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Ive cannot connect to the internet with one lap top. all other devices are connect and running fin off the router.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Networking Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the make and model of the laptop you are having issue with?

Does it have windows xp, vista, or 8 or 10, or is it a mac computer?

Was it working previously? Or is this a new laptop or new internet modem/router device?

What happens when you select / connect the laptop to your wi-fi/wireless network name? Is there any error or message?

If you have an extra Ethernet/network cable, can you connect it from the laptop to the Internet modem/router device temporarily and see if the Internet works on it via wired / cable connection?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dell Latitude E5500 with Windows 7
It was working fine until this morning I went to get on the internet and it wouldn't connect to the internet. (I have a wireless router that is setting right next to the laptop.) I thought it was the router and so I reset the router, no success. I called Comcast Customer support and they reset the router. No success. I then noticed that my Iphone, Ipad, and this other Dell Laptop im on now, was connected to the Internet.
So I started focusing on the Dell Latitude. I've rebooted it by turning it off and then on so many times today. I've uninstalled and then reinstalled both network drivers.
When the laptop comes on, I'm able to see the available networks, I then click on the Home WiFi Connection and the laptop tries to connect. I then get an error message saying Windows was unable to connect to HOME-10E7 which is my router. Ive tried to troubleshoot the problem but to no avail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, but I do not have any Ethernet cables.

Thank you. Did you uninstall the network adapters in Device Manager (but don't check the box to delete the driver box)?

Have you tried to do a system restore?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under Network Devices, I clicked on each driver and then clicked on unistall. I then rebooted the laptop and the drivers automatically reloaded.
I have not tried a system restore.

Do you mean under Network adapters in Device Manager right?

And you reset the router by disconnecting the power cord from it for a few minutes, then re-connect right?

Can you click Start->All programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, and check?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Network adapters in Device Manager.
Yes on resetting the router by disconnecting the power.
I will try System restore now...

OK, then let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Error message, C:\Windows\system32\rstrui.exe "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Sorry, please try: click on Start->All Programs->Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. Then type each of the command lines below, one line at a time, and press the Enter key each time:

netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt

Then restart the computer and see if you can connect the laptop to wifi/wireless.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Restarting now. stand by.

OK, thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, so after the restart, when I click o the WiFi link, do not see any available connections.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wait, that changed and now I see the HOME-10E7

OK, see if you can connect to it now. Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clicked on the HOME-10E7 connection and it asked for the Security Key. I typed it in and clicked enter. It tried to connect but then the same message came back up "Windows was unable to connect to HOME-10E7".

Sorry, is the laptop able to connect to any other wireless network name?

Are you able to log in the router? What's the model of the router? Is there any (IP) address at the back of the router?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the laptop is not able to connect to the other wireless network.
I do not know how to log into the router. The router is technicolor TC8305C
I do not see an (IP) address but I do see a URL http://10.0.0.1

Does the laptop still say "Windows was unable to connect..." when you try to connect to another wireless network name, like at a friend's house, or at a public wireless, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the same message comes up "Windows was unable to connect to Xfinity"

Can you click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Properties, then check if your System type: is 32-bit or 64-bit?

Do you have a USB external hard drive or a USB flash drive?

What are the names of the two items under Network adapters in Device Manager?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a 32-bit
i have a USB flash drive.
The Drivers are Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller and Intel(R) Wifi Links 5100 AGN

Thank you. Please try the following:

STEP 1:

- Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs /Programs and Features

, and uninstall the Intel WiFi / wireless item if you see any there

, then restart the computer,

, then check Network adapters in Devices Manager, and if you still see the item Intel(R) Wifi Links 5100 AGN , then right-click on the item Intel(R) Wifi Links 5100 AGN and click on Uninstall and check the box "Delete the driver software for this device.

, then restart the computer again.

STEP 2:

- On another working computer, go to the website below:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=R277775

, then there, click on Download File

, then it will download a file call INTEL_MULTI-DEVICE_A03_R277775....

, then transfer that download file to the USB drive.

STEP 3:

- Transfer the download file INTEL_MULTI-DEVICE_A03_R277775... from the USB drive to the Dell E5500 laptop and open / install it

, then see if you can connect to wireless.

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as soon as i restart the laptop the Intel(R) WiFi link 5100 automatically installs.
Is this okay?

When you do this: under Network adapters in Device Manager, right-click on the item Intel(R) Wifi Links 5100 AGN and click on Uninstall and check the box "Delete the driver software for this device", then click OK, then restart the computer, does it automatically install back or not? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I check the box "Delete the driver software for this device". I did this twice and the software still automatically reinstalled.
After the second time the box "Delete the driver software for this device" is not on the screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attempted to run the INTEL_MULTI-DEVICE_A03_R277775, but I received an error message "This software package cannot be installed on your system. The setup application will exit."

I'm sorry, forget that. Can you download and install the file "Wireless_16.7.0_s32.exe" (the 3rd one) at the website below and check:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23491/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went and got an Ethernet cable. That laptop is now connected by the cable to the router and is connected to the internet.

Great. Wired should work. Did you try to download / install the file "Wireless_16.7.0_s32.exe" yet for fixing wireless?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I downloaded the "Wireless_16.7.0_s32.exe" but it wouldn't run the set up.

Sorry, is there any error or message?

How about downloading / install the "Wireless_16.7.0_Ds32.exe" this time (the first one)?

Please let me know. Thank you.

It it still does not work, it looks like the built-in wireless adapter is bad. Can you test with a USB wireless adapter? Please let me know. Thank you.