Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I have a communications cable modem connected to a linksys

Customer Question

I have a cox communications cable modem connected to a linksys E1200 wireless router. The wireless router must be powered off and on once every day. Thoughts?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

What happens when you do not power the Linksys on and off everyday?

And what have you tried to do to fix this?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Essentially I lose internet connectivity to both my PC (which is wired to the Linksys) and all wireless devices. I've read the Linksys installation instrucutions which say to clone the MAC address of the cable modem, which I did.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you mean it does not connect to the wireless network anymore? Or it remains connected but no internet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I remains connected, but no internet
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

You will need to do a reset of the Linksys then set it up again to reload the firmware as this is the most common cause (a corrupted firmware).

On the back of the Linksys is a reset button. Using a paperclip, hold the reset button in for 10 seconds then release.

Wait 5 minutes then setup the Linksys again like when you first received it.

No need to worry about Mac Cloning though.

Then tell me how it functions please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the firmware is corrupted, a reset won't fix that, since it'll just re-run the "corrupted" firmware when it reboots, right?
I would need to reinstall the firmware, don't you think? I really don't think this is the issue, as it is a fairly reliable failure, occurring basically once a day. Even if I do as you suggest, I will need to wait a day or so to find out if it had any effect.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No, as your reinstalling it from the Rom, which is why I gave you these instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I will give it a try, but won't know any results for at least a day. How will I report the results back?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Reply here when you know the results please, just post a message like you are doing now.