Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., System Administrator
Experience:  Ten plus years of working experience in the field of computers and networks. Familiar with windows and Linux networking.
50064670

I have a toshiba laptop and have upgraded to window 10. It

Customer Question

hello,
I have a toshiba laptop and have upgraded to window 10. It use to have window 7 on it. I have just brought it however it doesn't connect to the wifi. Can you help please?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is there any error or message when connecting the Toshiba laptop to wi-fi/wireless?

What's the model of your Toshiba laptop? (please check at the back/bottom of the laptop.)

What is the model of your Internet/wireless modem/router device?

Do you have another laptop/wireless computer that is currently able to connected via wireless? If so, does it have Windows xp, vista, or 7, 8, or Mac?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Toshiba laptop model is: Toshiba satellite L300the model of my internet/wireless modem is: Bright box (R) wireless routerI have an IPAD and it has no problem connecting to the wifi and the Toshiba will work if it connects directly with the eternet cable but not wireless.

Thank you. Please click on the wi-fi/wireless icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen (or click on Start -> Settings -> Network -> Wi-Fi), then what happens? Does it see your wi-fi/wireless network name? If yes, what happens when you connect to it? Is there any error or message?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it doesn't see it... but sometimes it does pick it up and then I will enter the password ***** it will say unable to connect. Other time it will connect by itself for about 3-4 minutes and then if you refresh it will say no available network like it is saying now since I am plug in directly with the ethernet cable

Please disconnect the power cord from the Brightbox wireless router for about 3 minutes, then reconnect

, then disconnect the Ethernet/network cable from laptop to router, then restart the computer

, then see if you can connect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done that yesterday for over 8 hours and it still doesn't work

Sorry, please press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard

, then type devmgmt.msc then click OK

, then double-click on the item Network adapters to open/expand it

, then right-click on each of the item(s) under it and click on Uninstall and confirm (but don't check the box to delete the driver)

, then restart the computer, and it will automatically reinstall

, then see if you can connect to wi-fi/wireless

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I get you back once I turn off the computer because like I said I am currently using the laptop that I am having problem with. Can you tell me how to get back to you once that is done?

Did you receive email messages from JustAnswer / Viet yet?

You can get back to via the View Response / View Answer link in the email message from JustAnswer / Viet in your email.

Or I can connect remotely to your computer and troubleshoot right now.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done that and it pick it up and I put in the password ***** as usual it work for 1 minute and then said 'no internet' with a asterick on the wifi icon

When did this issue first occur? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since the 29th November

- Press at the same time the the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard

, then type rstrui then click OK

, then click on Next, and restore the computer to any date before this issue first occurred, and check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok... it is performing a system restore

OK, it takes about 10 to 30 minutes, thank you.

If it still does not work, please try:

- Right-click on the Start button (which is the windows logo icon at the bottom left of the computer's screen), then click on Command Prompt (Admin), and confirm if prompted

, then type each of the command lines below, one line at a time, and press the Enter key each time:

netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt

, then restart the computer and see if you can connect to Wi-Fi / wireless.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i fell asleep and had to go to work hence the reason why i didn't reply earlier

No problem; please let me know when you can continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am sorry but it still doesn't work

I'm sorry. Was wi-fi/wireless working fine with Windows 10 on this laptop? Or it had never worked?

Was wireless working fine previously with Windows 7 on this laptop?

Do you happen to have a USB wireless adapter?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just upgraded to window 10. I brought the laptop with window 7 however I didn't have internet setup as yet so I use to use a dongle and it worked fine.

So you never tested if the Windows 7 was able to connect to Wi-Fi/wireless (modem/router) previously. And I mean a USB wi-fi/wireless adapter that works with the wireless router (not a USB data modem that has internet connection by itself.)

Can you please check at the back/bottom of the Toshiba laptop for the full model, such as c655-s5049?

And can you go to Control Panel\System and Security\System and check if the System type is 64-bit or 632-bit.

And when did you upgrade to Windows 10?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nah, when I had the window 7 my home broadband wasn't setup as yet.The toshiba model is: PSLB8E-03F007EN64BITI upgraded on the 1/12/2015

Thank you. We need to update the drivers for the model PSLB8E-03F007EN (Satellite L300-1BW):

1. Can you please download and update the Wireless driver at

http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-files2/0/wlesslan-20150928095045.zip

, then check

2. If that does not work, please download and update the BIOS at

http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-files2/0/bios-20100225083641.zip

, then check.

- If it still does not work, please go to Device Manager, then tell me the brand/model wireless / wi-fi adapter in the Network adapters section.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
doesn't work....the brand/model wireless/wifi adapter in the network adapter section is:realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 network adapter

It is a very old wireless adapter, so it may not be compatible with Windows 10 as there is no driver update for it, but can you try to installing the driver for windows 7/vista/xp at the website below, and check:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=40&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true

- If that does not work, can you test with a USB wireless adapter (about $10 from your local computer / office store or borrow one to test.)

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is a USB wireless adapter. I am downloading the link you gave me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the website download doesn't work... would the USB wireless adapter work?

Yes, it should work with a new USB wireless adapter that is compatible with Windows 10. You can disable the Realtek RTL8187B item in Network adapters in Device manager, then install / connect the new USB wireless adapter, and it should work.

- There is also another solution: You would reset windows 10 fresh by click on Start -> Settings -> Update & security -> Recovery -> Reset PC -> Keep my files. Though this requires you to reinstall your programs. This may or may not work, but resetting is the usually last solution we would try.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi,I lost my microsoft office 2010 from the reset that you had me do and I brought the usb wireless adapter and it doesnt work.

I'm sorry. What's the brand/model of the USB wireless adapter?

Did you disable the built-in Realtek item in Network adapters in Device manager?

Did you install the driver/software for the new USB wireless adapter first?

If you do not have the Office 2010 disk, you can download / reinstall your Office 2010 at the Microsoft website below:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=403713

https://products.office.com/en-us/download-back-up-restore-microsoft-office-products

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hold on let me do what you ask...

OK, please take your time, thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I receive your rating email but I am having difficulty rating you because I lost my microsoft office installation. The link you send me is asking for product key which I can't find around the house since I never plan on uninstalling the software... as for the USB wireless adapter which you told me to buy didn't work so not only does my problem remain unsolve; it also costing me.

I'm really sorry. Where did you purchase your Microsoft Office previously?

Can you use the OpenOffice program:

http://www.openoffice.org/

I'm sorry; it is a really strange issue as we have reset the computer and tested with a new USB wireless adapter, but it still does not work. I'm out of suggestions, but let me open the issue to other experts. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem? It’s fully secure and you can see what I am doing at all times. If you wish please accept my remote support offer and let me know your time zone and the time period you prefer for remote support. Then I can send you the details to connect.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much is that going to cost me extra? nah...your company has taken enough money out of my pocket; not too mention, there are many hackers and cyber crimes these days to be careful for; so nah, I don't feel comfortable permitting anyone in my PC.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Actually you do not worry about permitting me to remotely connect to your system. It is same as a technician visit your home and work on your system. Only difference is technician is not on your home. You can see every thing I am doing on your system and can close the connection when you need.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but I don't let anyone on my laptop but me that's why I paid to have my problem fixed online and not carry my laptop to a technician. I have followed everything that your technician has told me to do; so what more is there? tell me the steps in detail and I will do them like the first technician did.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

On the Cortana search box, type cmd and right click on the command prompt displayed and select Run as Administrator. You will get open the command prompt window. Now in the command window type net user administrator /active:yes

Log off and login as administrator. Now press the windows logo key and R key on your keyboard together. You will get open the Run command box. Type devmgmt.msc in the run box and press Enter. You will get open the device manager window. Can you see any Unknown Device or Disabled Device there ?

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no unknown or disabled device where you guided me. I followed every step. What next?
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Okay, please go to : Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections Can you see any wireless adapters listed there?

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says connection - ethernet
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

That means you only have Ethernet Card and not wireless Card. If there is wireless card it also should list there. If it is because of a driver problem, device manager should indicate an unknown or disabled device. So, we can confirm the issue is related with Wifi Card hardware. Wifi card is small module inside the laptop, which is connected with a small connector to the motherboard. If the connector is disconnected from the motherboard, the wifi module will not work and it do not work if the wifi module is damaged. So you need to contact the nearest service center. They can open the laptop and check the Wifi module and replace it if damaged.

I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me where I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's your conclusion...hmm, well then how do you explain that it picks up the wifi for one to two minutes and then drop. No offense but please send me the rating email again; now you all are frustrating me. It wasn't enough that you all had cost me over £90 for absolutely nothing and now you want me to spend more. I have an idea, how about you refund me the following: £35 that I paid your company plus the microsoft office home that I lost because of your company for £40 and the usb wireless adapter for £15. So in total that's 35+40+15 = £90.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry sir, I can understand you frustrations. Really sorry about the extra amount you paid for MS Office. That expert should have inform you about program losses while reset. Alos, I wonder why you purchased a new office instead of using your previous copy. Anyway I want to know some more details. Hold down the Fn key on your keyboard and press F8 key. When you press FN and F8 can you see any messages regarding wifi ON/OFF ? You said you bought a usb wifi adapter. If so can't you install it ? If it is not working you should replace is as soon as possible.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't need any apology; what's done is done. I have told you how you can undo what's already done but you're not willing to so what more is there to say...nothing.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if you want to continue : Please Hold down the Fn key on your keyboard and press F8 key. When you press FN and F8 can you see any messages regarding wifi ON/OFF ? You said you bought a usb wifi adapter. If so can't you install it ? If it is not working you should replace is as soon as possible.

If not please contact our customer support for refund.

Regards

Jins