Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Network consultant for over 20 years.
25267123

Wifi on my iMac keeps dropping off then reconnecting. I am

Customer Question

Wifi on my iMac keeps dropping off then reconnecting. I am not sure if it is a setting in my router or my service provider which is Hughesnet.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:

• The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)
  • Processor
  • Memory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Version: 10.11.1 (15B42)
Processor: 3.06 GHz intel core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3

Is the Airport cone at the top of your screen staying filled or does it go to gray bars?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It goes grey and starts searching for a signal

OK that is your WiFi signal in the house....

1.) Open System Preferences
2.) Click on Network
3.) Near the top-centre is a drop down menu that says "location". Click on this and choose "Edit Locations..."
4.) Click on "+" button to create (add) a new Location.
5.) You might notice the arrangement of network services (the icons in the left column) changes. These services can be re-arranged so that your macbook tried out the one at the top first. If you want to use WIFI mainly, click on the button with a gear and choose "Set Service Order" Then drag your Airport Service to the top of the list. This'll tell your macbook to use your airport card to connect to the internet first before using the others. If your airport fails though, it'll use the next one on the list. One crummy thing about this though, is that you can be connected to the wifi network but your TCP/IP settings are messed up and it won't give you internet. In this case it may/ may not use the other services to connect to the internet.
6.) Anyways, with this new location, you should be able to try again "from scratch". See if it works now :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was set to Automatic.
I added my SSID.
This is an iMac, not a Macbook
Do you think that will solve the issue.

Ok but I wanted you to create a new one call it Home or something the point is to make a new set of preferences