Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

My network attached storage is extremely slow with my

Customer Question

My network attached storage is extremely slow with my macbook pro. I've tried everything but it is just dog slow. Can you help?
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just some amplification:
In Finder, I wait for a minute or more for it to show me the files and folders on my NAS device. If you click on a folder, it crunches on it of a really long time. Eventually, sometimes after several minutes, it will show the contents of the folder. It also doesn't reliably stay connected to the network attached storage drives. I use 2 Western Digital My Book Live Duo as the NAS device. They are both hard line connected to a recently purchased router and my macbook pro is hard wired to the router.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

To confirm, are both units slow to access or just one?

What is the make and model of the router it is connected to?

And what have you already tried to do to resolve this?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard!One drive is slightly faster than the other, but both are unusably slow. The router is a Linksys AC 1750 Smart WiFi Router.I've sought solutions from these threads:https://community.wd.com/t/very-slow-nas-access-with-imac/87617
https://community.wd.com/t/very-slow-nas-access-with-imac/87617/3
https://jonathansblog.co.uk/make-your-afp-nas-more-responsive
http://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/TN-CS-why-your-nas-is-slow.htmlNothing has worked.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

have you done a full reset of the Linksys yet? So held the reset button in for 10 seconds, release then set it up again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not done a full reset.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, can you please do this and then setup the Linksys again like when you first received it.

Tell me if this improves the speed please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Full reset complete. Still unusably slow access to the NAS drives from the Macbook Pro.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

if you connect via cable to the linksys, is it faster?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The MacBook has always been hard wired with a gigabit Ethernet cable. The drives have always been connected with a gigabit Ethernet cable. The connections reveal that they are indeed a gigabit Ethernet connection. Everything else on the network performs as expected. It's only the macbook's access to the NAS that is unusably slow.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, do a repair of the hard drive on the Nas

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Nas

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No NAS drives appear in the disk utility at start up. Nor do the NAS drives appear in the disk utility that I run from the "other" folder after start up.