Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I have a new yaesu fd2rt radio. Tring to connect to my pc

Customer Question

I have a new yaesu fd2rt radio. Tring to connect to my pc using the rt systems cable and software for the fd2rt. Question are there any settings on the radio, that need to be configured (not found in manual yet) to allow communication via the data port? thank you
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think you need to have the right programmer software for the particular and specific model of radio that you wish to program.

For your FD2RT radio by Yaesu, you need specific programmer software. Unfortunately the list on this page does not include your Yaesu radio model #:

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/Articles.asp?ID=434

It unfortunately appears that the radio model you have stated has no programmer software for it. As a matter of fact, I cannot find a 'Yaesu FD2RT' model described in any detail. Please look for the manufacturer's label on your radio, and identify its model # ***** way, and tell me what it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Russell. Thank you for the response. It was my mistake it's the ft2dr. I've already bought and tried the rt systems cable and software. And it says you need to download from the radio first. I keep getting a communication time out error data count = 10. thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it with the radio and both boxes say ft2dr or for the ft2dr
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. Try re-seating the cable on the radio end, and while doing so, check for dirt or dust in the radio's port. If any whatever is seen, brush the radio's port out with a clean dry brush, then re-seat the cable and try again.

It is suggested that you try reading from the radio first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked no dust tried 3 different PCs and same thing. Is there possibly a setting that the data port on the radio may have that turns off the data port? I'm getting to a point that returning everything and buying something else
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If the cable looks cheap, that might be the problem.

I don't know of any data port setting on the radio, and research turned up no mention of such a thing.

Be sure the setting of the chosen port, in the software on the PC, is accurate to whatever USB port you're using on the computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the software doesn't allow you to choose what port, and the cable is the rt systems cable that came with the software, its decent looking cable.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That's puzzling. I thought the RT software for Yaesu had a setting allowing you to specify COMx (Com port number) even if you were using USB port(s) on your computer. Look again among the settings, I recommend.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not been able to find a Com port selection in the RT software using the FT2DR software package
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Then I am out of ideas, and frankly, having made little progress with the case, I feel I ought to turn it over to other Experts, some of whom may have more idea of what you can do - aside from 'replace the cable and software' and/or 'replace or service the Yaesu radio' - than I have.

So I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts.