Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Trying to link my new bose Bluetooth speaker 3 to my lap top

Customer Question

Trying to link my new bose Bluetooth speaker 3 to my lap top and having trouble.
Bluetooth is enabled on laptop
Bose SLlll shows up in blie tooth devices
Category: Networking
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Can you please tell me what operating system you're running on your laptop? Windows? Mac? Which version?

Typically it's as simple as choosing the device to which you want to pair your laptop. And if asked for a code, it's typically 0000 unless you've set something in particular or the owners manual says the default is something else.

Please describe as best you can the exact steps you are taking to attempt to pair your laptop with your speaker and what error message you receive.

Cheers,

Drew

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 7I have done all of the following off of the Bose troubleshooting website.Bluetooth® troubleshootingUnable to connect to a device?Before attempting any of the following steps, make sure that you are running the latest software version on your SoundLink® Wireless Mobile speaker. Click here to visit the software update center and update your speaker. If you are still having difficulty connecting to a device after updating the software, continue to the troubleshooting steps.Unable to connect with a previously paired device?Please try the following to resolve this issue:Perform a product resetTo perform a SoundLink® speaker reset, following these steps:1.On the speaker, press and hold Mute for 10 seconds, the LEDs will flash briefly2.Press Power to turn the SoundLink® speaker back onClear the pairing list on both the SoundLink® Wireless Mobile speaker and the source1.On the SoundLink® speaker, press and hold the Bluetooth® button for approximately 10 seconds until you hear a tone. The SoundLink® speaker clears all Bluetooth® devices from its memory and becomes discoverable2.Clear the list on your Bluetooth® device. For more information, please refer to the manufacturer of the device3.Perform a product reset. On the speaker, press and hold Mute for 10 seconds, the LEDs will flash briefly. Press Power to turn the SoundLink® speaker back on4.Try pairing the device again by following these steps:i.With the Bluetooth® device and the SoundLink® speaker both turned on, press and hold the Bluetooth® button on the speaker for three seconds to make the speaker discoverable. The Bluetooth® indicator will slowly fade on and off approximately once every second to show the speaker is in discoverable modeii.Set your Bluetooth® device to "Discoverable." This will allow your device to discover the SoundLink® speakeriii.On your device, locate the Bluetooth® device list. Select "Bose SoundLink" from the listiv.If your device asks for a passkey, enter digits 0000 and press OK. Some devices also ask you to accept the connection. Your Bluetooth® device indicates when pairing is complete. The SoundLink® speaker indicates pairing is complete when the Bluetooth indicator stops fading on and off and remains onBe sure the SoundLink® speaker is within 30 feet of the Bluetooth deviceThe system is designed to operate at a range of 30 feet. However, performance can be diminished by obstacles such as walls or metal, and may also be affected by other Bluetooth® devices. Try moving the SoundLink® speaker closer to the Bluetooth® device.Be sure the source's Bluetooth function is OnMany Bluetooth® enabled devices have an option where the Bluetooth® feature can be turned On or Off. This option may be set to Off to save the battery life of the device. Be sure this option is set to On. If the Bose® product is paired to the Bluetooth® enabled device, it should automatically reconnect when its Bluetooth® function is turned on. If the Bose product doesn't automatically reconnect, manually select the Bose product within the Bluetooth® list on the device.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows says the device is configured correctly, it show up in the Bluetooth devices list and devices and printers list.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No error message received, just no sound from Bose, sound comes from internal laptop speakers.
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

Well it sounds like you've covered the basics. And since your device shows up in the devices and printers list, it even sounds like you have successfully paired it with your laptop. So now I'm wondering if you need to select the right output device in Windows.

Try going into your control panel and navigate to Hardware and Sound -> Sound -> Manage Audio devices. You should get a window that looks similar to the one I attached with YOUR audio devices. Do you see your bluetooth speaker in there? If so, try selecting it and see if you get sound.

Cheers,

Drew

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bose not listed.
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

OK. Well you've covered the obvious it seems. I'm going to open this back up to other experts that might have specific experience with your Bose speaker.

Cheers,

Drew

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know why it's not listed in the Audio Device List?
Expert:  Richard Hall replied 1 year ago.

This is Richard, I should be able to assist you.

In the same window in the attached photo you provided, try right clicking in the space, and choose 'show disabled devices'

And let me know what devices(if any) show up.

Thanks,