Nathan, System Administrator
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

I am having trouble setting up my TV on my wireless network,

Customer Question

I am having trouble setting up my TV on my wireless network, which is fine. I need the IP address of my Sony so I can manually set it.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

How far is the tv from the router?
Are you getting a specific error message?
Typically you get an IP from the router and enter into it into the sony, not the other way around.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15 to 20 feet.
No error message, just tells me that the connection failed
I thought that each device (computer, printer, TV) has it's own IP address
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The info I got said that if the IP address starts with 169 its wrong. The IP I got started with 169.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

No they do not, they are assigned an ip address automatically by the router.

If the wifi isn't working, it is often because either the tvs internal wifi adapter has failed (very common), or the firmware needs to be updated.

If close enough, run a wired lan/ethernet cable from tv to router, and see if you can connect that way.

This will usually allow the tv to update and restore functionality of the wifi adapter when you go back to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the info I got from Sony help? -the 169 info
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It means it is not picking up a valid IP address,

there are many possible causes of that though

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You can try unplugging both the tv and the router 60+ seconds to reboot, then try again

but if you have the ability to do the ethernet, either as a long term solution or as a temporary test, that would be more helpful at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There isn't an internal wifi adapter the adapter is plugged into a USB port. I'll see if my LAN cable is long enough
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Wifi adapters fail, internal or external, and could easily be the cause of this on a 4 year old tv.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you can get a normal (usually starting with 192.) ip via wired

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LAN cable is too short, but I disconnected another one and I'm trying that one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that one is about 3 feet short
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I get the IP address from the router.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to leave in 15 minutes. Can you solve the problem by then or can you call me tomorrow
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You don't "get" one from the router.

The tv picks on up automatically when it successfully negotiates a connection. Can you move the tv (or the router) a bit closer?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I'll work with you here for now or we can talk tomorrow too, yes.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

We can set up a static IP, where the router assigns or reserves a specific ip number for the tv.

That is done in the router configuration though and can be a bit complicated, but I can do it for you remotely if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think that will help. Our laptop further away than the TV gets connected fine.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Again, other devices have nothing at all to do with this, as it could very well be the wifi adapter for the tv that is faulty. It wouldn't matter what settings were used in that case, and that is why I'm asking you to test the wired connection if possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If that will solve the problem, sure
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Well lets try the wired first, if you can. I'm happy to do the remote process, but don't need to cost you more time/money in doing that if it isn't necessary just yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to leave. How do I contact you tdomorrow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll reboot the tv and router before I call you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I must leave. Please email with contact info. We'll continue tomorrow
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I can't email you directly, we communicate here.

Bookmark/favorite this page and follow up with me tomorrow.

If you want to call or do the remote, you'll need to accept that offer i sent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi NathanI'm back now
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Any luck with the ethernet connection?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned off both router and TV for a couple of minutes. The TV saw the network but again showed local and internet both failed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as a wired connection is concerned, my LAN cable was about 3 feet too short.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Did you try the wired?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You can't move the router or the tv a bit closer? Or use a longer cord temporarily between modem and router to get it closer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to disconnect the router and move it.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok the tv and router are connected. But it cost a connection to the computer. so I cant talk to you and at the same time as the tv is on the network.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

That's fine, this can be temporary.

With the tv connected to the lan, did it pick up a local and internet connection successfully?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was successful. Please understand that any time I must do something at the TV I'll have to disconnect from you
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Understood.

Leave it connected for now, then go into the setup menu and look for software update and run that.

When done, try to connect on wifi and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

How does that work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WiFi connection failed: Wireless device on TV: Found, local connection failed; internet connection failed
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

That means the wifi adapter is bad.

You could replace it, but they are expensive and prone to failure. The next one will die eventually too.

You have 2 other options that would be better:
Keep it wired, just with a longer ethernet cable, which will always be faster and more reliable than wifi: http://amzn.to/1kEpL7u

or use an external wifi bridge device or powerline adapter: http://amzn.to/1kEpAcf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which is better and why? Which would you use
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wired connection is really not really practical. room to room, have to go through a wall, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I would use wired, if possible. Can you drill a 1/2" hole through the wall to pass it through?

Direct wired is cheaper and always the most reliable.

The powerline adapter is next best

followed by wifi.

If you don't want to wire it up, get the powerline adapter, it is still half the price of a new wifi adapter and doesn't need any special configuration.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,