Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

Have Windows 10. Can't configure wireless access point. My

Customer Question

Have Windows 10. Can't configure wireless access point. My wireless doesn't show up. The only thing related to wireless is its name that shows up as a connection when I am hard-wired vis Cat-5 cable to my router.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Check to see that your wireless is turned on.

Click the start button on the lower left and select Settings. On the Settings page select Network & Internet.

From the menu down the left side Wi-Fi should be selected and on the right side of the page you should see the option

to turn wireless on and off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK first of all Wi-Fi doesn't even show up in the menu. And there is nothing on the right side for turning wi-fi on/off.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Are you trying to set up your router or get that machine connected wirelessly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is another data point for you. The SSID for my wi-fi is "slugo". If I click on the internet access icon in the system tray, windows 10 says slugo and connected, but I am hard wired to internet at present via cat-5 cable, not wireless.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to connect wirelessly to my router.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Does the slugo network show up on your smartphone?

What's the brand and model of your computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
slugo works fine on my smartphone, my wifes phone and two tablets. It was working on my computer until a few days ago. My computer is home built. I am using a Linksys AE1200 usb connected wireless transceiver which has worked fine for years. I can unplug it I guess and try it on my linux computer or an older Win 7 laptop, but my point is that Windows 10 doesn't even show anything related to wireless when I try to configure it.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Gotcha. Then you'll need to check if the adapter is being detected in Device Manager.

Right-click on the start button and select Device Manager.

When the page opens expand the entry for Network Adapters.

The AE1200 should be listed there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already di that. It is detected but not as a Network Device. It says "Other Device" and Linksys AE1200 under that.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Has that adapter been working since you upgraded to Windows 10?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as soon as Windows 10 was loaded, it worked and has been until lately. Here is what I see if I select Network & Internet under settings. Data Usage, VPN, Dial-up, Ethernet, and Proxy. There is no Wi-Fi listing.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

This is a driver issue.

You can try this: In Device Manager right-click on the Other Device and uninstall it.

Once it's gone, right-click any item in the list and scan for hardware changes.

Windows should re-detect the device and try to install the driver.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also remember if I click Internet Access icon on system tray, it shows "slugo connected" but I am using a Cat-5 cable for ethernet connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try your suggestion.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Doesn't matter. Slugo is the only network name on the router and that's what Windows picks up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried deleting and reacquiring. It deleted and came back under "Other Devices" Noticed it apparently has no driver and windows says it cannot find one. Guess I will search for a driver and load it. Seems I conversation is mute at this point.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

There is no Windows 10 drive for that adapter. The latest on the Linksys site is for Windows 7.

You can get a Windows 10 compatible usb adapter for $10 an Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=usb+wifi+adapter+windows+10&tag=googhydr-20&index=electronics&hvadid=72773705484&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8386807286523602089&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4w7s9joss9_b

I have an AE3000 and can't get it working either.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK i see what you mean. Seems that Windows 10 leads to mediocre performance and little support for older reliable devices. I will find driver or kill it and take your suggestion ---- but it was working for a couple of weeks before it quite. Scratching my head now!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for you help! Bye!
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

I suspect a Windows Update killed it but I'm not certain of that.

Please take a moment before leaving to provide a rating using the stars at the top of the

page and have a great weekend.