Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Trying to configure a cisco catalyst 2960C switch. I have a

Customer Question

Trying to configure a cisco catalyst 2960C switch. I have a modem, wireless router, and the pcs. I want to add the cisco between the modem and router. When I add it, my internet goes away. What are the basic commands to make that work? I'm connected with putty.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. The setup needs to be modem>router>switch

as the router will be handing out IP addresses to the attached devices through the switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The purpose of this switch is to set up a span session for all traffic to one of the ports. Including all wireless.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Your cable modem only ouputs a single IP address. It need to go to the router first. You don't need Putty to set the switch up but you do need a dedicated PC at first.

Take a look at this: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960c_3560c/hardware/quick/guide/all_languages/2960c_3560c_gsg_eng.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried the express setup but didn't see anything I thought I needed to change.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

I've uploaded the Cisco Network Assistant here: http://www.wikisend.com/download/953164/cna-1_0-windows-k9-installer.1-0-1a.exe

After you've installed it and have a connection with the switch open the program and see what options it gives.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried assistant with no luck. I'm connected with putty and should be able to do anything needed to set it up just to allow internet to pass through it but don't know which commands are needed.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

By default all ports on the switch are in VLAN 1 and what goes in one port should be broadcast to the other ports.

If you plug your pc into the switch and the modem into the port next to it can you get an internet connection like you would if you had the pc connected directly to the modem?