Gary Jensen
Gary Jensen,
Experience:  Functional Systems Administrator at Hill Air Force Base, OO-ALC/309SMXG
13452844

Trying to get youtube to work on my netgear WAN VPN fvs124g

Customer Question

trying to get youtube to work on my netgear WAN VPN fvs124g all other sites work correctly, but it seems to block youtube videos. I can goto youtube website but not play the videos. I have tried various things on the VPN but with no Joy. If I bypass the VPN I can play videos fine.
Category: Networking
Expert:  arsufi replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you have this issue, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Please save this page to favorites( ctrl + d) so that you can reconnect in case you get disconnected

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how to fix it ?
Expert:  S H E F I N replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Have you tried playing videos with Mozilla Firefox? Please download and install Mozilla Firefox from the link below and try playing videos on Firefox.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!
S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It has nothing to do with the browser its the VPN setup ! The VPN need at port opening or something as all other network traffic is fine its just youtube videos that wont play when they go through the FVS124G.

Are you using Centurylink as your ISP?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No bt I'm in the uk

May I know your ISP? Have you tried other browsers like Firefox and Internet Explorer?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said in all my other txts its not the browser if I connect the computer direct to the modem it works fine if I connect it through the VPN it all works except you tube video's wont play. Unless you know how to setup a VPN you cant help me. Sorry

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I will open the question for other experts.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Expert:  Gary Jensen replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I'm going to be assisting you.

Have you tried disabling the firewall on the router just to see if that allows you to play Youtube videos? This will help us narrow this down and verify it has to do with security features of the router. Try this and let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Garry,As I put in the original question if I bypass the VPN it works. The VPN fvs124g does not have a simple turn off firewall see manual for the VPN fvs124g if you are unable / have not previously setup the VPN fvs124g then I don't this you will be able to help me. I have tried most things including redirection ports with no avail.

I understand better. I see that this device is a standalone VPN solution. I know you stated that only youtube.com is affected. Have you been able to fully use other sites that use Adobe Flash content(such as WatchESPN: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/)?

Is the VPN set up right now to do any type of service blocking?

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it plays flash ok in anycase if you use a ipad and youtube it does not use flash (as Ipads don't support flash)