Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Network Architect
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt. Certified Network Engineer/Architect
23511658

I have installed UBUNTU 14.04 LTS keeping the Windows 7

Customer Question

I have installed UBUNTU 14.04 LTS keeping the Windows 7 system on the PC.
The Windows 7 works as before. It gives me Internet access as usual (Firefox, Windows Live Mail, etc.). But the Ubuntu system does not, and I don't know how to configure it.
The PC has a Belkin F9L 1101v1 dongle. The router is a NetGear Wireless Router (WireLess-N 150 Router WNR1000v2).
Do I need a driver for the Dongle and how can I get it? All my other systems are Windows 7 systems and searching on the Internet only gets me drivers for Windows and not Ubuntu.
I do NOT want to migrate to Windows 10 (if possible) and would prefer Ubuntu.
Thank You.
Sigmar ***@******.***
Category: Networking
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

When you set up your clinic system, you must make sure that the ethernet adapter is active and that an IP address is assigned from the local network in order for to communicate the same way that the Windows system does. In fact, you should not even need a dongle to connect if you have an ethernet port already connected whatever you are using to your Windows network should work to connect under the Linux operating system as well. Is not likely that you'll find a wound to drivers for that dongle or other dongle because usually you have to compile those into the Col. yourself. Linux is quite a bit more complicated when you're dealing with drivers and operating system configuration. It's very different from Windows.