Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I have an HP cp1518ni and just got a new laptop running

Customer Question

I have an HP cp1518ni and just got a new laptop running windows 10 my problem is that the printer is connected to a workstation and is set to be shared. But I can't seem to see it.
So I thought to put it on my network and connected it to the router I can see it and still my laptop does not recognize it as a printer. I forced the connection by using the IP address and it give me an error. Then I look at the properties it tells me it is a hard drive.
The printer has the ability to take memory cards from cameras so that is what I must be seeing is there a setting on the printer to make it connect to the router as a printer?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

At a glance over your complete account, it seems to me that the printer needs a driver to be installed that is meant for both that model of printer and for that version of Windows (Win 10).

Is the printer a networked printer, or a USB-connected printer? sometimes that makes a difference.

Let me know whether your Windows 10 is 32-bit, or 64-bit, also, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

new thinkpad that came with windows 10, and connected to the router with an ethernet cable.,

laptop is 64 bit

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

First, disconnect the printer, turn it off and unplug it from both power and computer. Leave it that way throughout the following, until you are instructed to connect it up again by the installation software routine (or, at least, by that routine having completely ended and finished and exited etc.)

So: turn off, unplug, unplug your printer.

Go to your computer, to the Start button, then to Control Panel, and remove all entries for your printer and its series in Devices And Printers, by clicking on each icon (or entry) and deleting. (In this case, if there are any scanners shown, or any HP devices, select and then delete those, also.)

Then, reboot your computer: shut it down and start it up again.

Then, go to

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL39348/lj-95994-8/upd-pcl5-x64-5.9.0.18326.exe

and follow the download process, getting the driver onto your disk, and completing the download and then starting the driver installation program and following through the process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried what you suggested and I was able to print thru the workstation. But could still not see the printer on the network. Did she the printer on the network but as a hard drive.. Is there a confirguration on the printer that I have to do to make it work.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I think that the problem is likely to be in your security software or firewall.

To go the Control Panel, then to Security Center, and see what is listed under Firewall. Let me know, please. Thanks.