Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I have a pogo plug version 4. I am trying to load archlinux

Customer Question

I have a pogo plug version 4. I am trying to load archlinux on it. I've tried several different variations of the instructions -- lately been using http://www.razva.ro/install-arch-linux-pogoplug-samba-pogoplug-4/ I have try loading arch linux on 4 different
media, including 2 usb flash drives and 2 SSDs. I keep getting stuck at the spot where I reboot I and should be able to connect to the new arch linux install. I am unable to connect to the pogo plug using the same IP address and I don't see any other devices
on my network that might be it. Attached is a log of what i've been trying.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I have some simple advice: if those instructions aren't working for you, then they either misstate something or leave something vital out. Linux 'documentation' is often that crudely unreliable, unfortunately.

Before you reboot and try to connect to the new Arch Linux on the Pogo Plug 4, do you set the IP address on it to come up at a fixed IP address? do you set its Linux eth0 to be listening and active? if you don't, it won't come up at any IP address, or it will come up - as assigned by DHCP perhaps - at an IP Address that you cannot forsee and must discover by guesswork or examination and inference.

What have to tried to do, to examine and infer the IP identity of the Pogo Plug device on your network ? Reading the DHCP Assignments tables of your local router box (if the Pogo device is connected to it with an Ethernet cable, especially) would be the most likely way to go with that.

(And if the Pogo device had a 'console' connection, that would be the best thing to examine it by, since it would show scrolling bootup/startup messages including info about network status. That's an IF, since I doubt that it has.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I've looked at the device listing on tomato and it still appeared to be on the same IP address. Everytime i've reset my pogo plug to the original os it's always been at the same IP address.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

So, can you PING it at that address and get a response, after the restart?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there's no response after the restart.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

But the original OS's IP address setting isn't significant with regard to a new OS install upon it.

Have you configured the new installs to a particular, static IP address, e.g. using ifconfig or similar command in the startup scripts of the new OS install ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, if you have a few examples I can try that tonight when I get home. Thanks
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

This seems best, ***** ***** is simply put, and has an Arch Linux example too:

https://www.linode.com/docs/networking/linux-static-ip-configuration

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I don't have arch running until after the reboot, how do I do this from the instructions you posted:ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/network/10-dhcp.network
gives me an error saying no such file or directory.>>Networking on Arch Linux and Fedora 21 is configured using the systemd-networkd service.The configuration file for systemd-networkd should be created in /etc/systemd/network.Note: The systemd version may be outdated, and you may need to run pacman -Syu before continuing. You can check the version by running systemctl --version.Prior to creating the configuration file, you will need to use LISH to disable the DHCP connection that we provide by default. To do so, on LISH, use the following command:ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/network/10-dhcp.network
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The configuration file is a text file that can be edited with a standard Linux text editor even if the OS that supports and uses the file is not running at the time. (Editing it with a Windows editor would be rather inadvisable for certain reasons.)

If the command is

ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/network/10-dhcp.network

and if it says 'no such file', then you may need to create the file first as an empty file by

cat > /etc/systemd/network/10-dhcp.network

and then Ctrl-Z to terminate the cat operation. Note: this has to be /etc/systemd/network on the target system that is going to be used, not on the system you are running the install with. Context is important here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please review the instructions I am following I listed in my question because I don't see where the target system is versus the system i am running the install. the 'alarm' directory doesn't have anything.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me explain what I mean please:

- you are using one system to configure the Pogo Plug, correct?

- so you are booted up off that one system not the Pogo Plug, while configuring the Pogo Plug, correct?

- so the commands that alter files should alter the files on the Pogo Plug system, not on the system you are running to do the configuring of the Pogo Plug with. That's the context.

The 'target system' is the Pogo Plug.

The 'system you are running' is the one you are using to configure it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please read the instructions I am following, it is exactly what I am trying to do.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I regret that I seem to be making no progress in advising you, and for that I apologize.

Since a different Expert here might have more success at helping you, I would like to give you that opportunity to improve, by Opting Out, which opens the case to other Experts without cutting off communication.