Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

Can't connect my pc to android ap hotspot from my phone.

Customer Question

can't connect my pc to android ap hotspot from my phone. Worked fine before upgrade to windows 10.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Randy IT Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this. .I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. Windows 10 is compatible and should work great with your android hotspot.

Try these steps please;

Step 1:On the Start Screen, right-click the lower left portion to open the shortcut list and click Device Manager.

Step 2:Look for Network adapters and click on the Flag button to expand. Right-click on the wireless network adapter and click uninstall.

Step 3:On the Confirm Device Uninstall window, check Delete the driver software for this device then click OK.

Then reboot and try connecting to the hotspot again.

Please let me know if you need any other assistance.

Please take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then click on submit.

Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe this will fix the problem. The only network adapter showing is the Broadcom 802.11n network adapter and if I uninstall this I will have no internet access at all. I am trying to connect to the wireless hotspot on my android phone which would bypass the Broadcom adapter completely. This is a windows and specifically a windows 10 problem.

okay, what is the brand/model of your computer please?

if the wireless was working well on the computer prior to the upgrade, then the uninstall and reinstall of the wireless network adapter will correct the issue that you are having.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am running Windows 10 on a MacBook Air. I could connect to my phone's hotspot when I was running Windows 8 on exactly the same machine.

okay, when you right click on the wireless adapter does it give you the uninstall option?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the options of Update Driver, Uninstall or Disable. I have tried Update Driver and it says I have the latest drivers.

if you choose uninstall and then reboot the mac will automatically reinstall the adapter. It will reconfigure the settings and if there was a glitch with the Windows 10 update/install the reinstall of the adapter will correct the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have done all you suggested. The problem is the same. It says it cannot connect to the androidap network.

okay, try rebooting the phone and then restart the hotspot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. Same thing. Says "Checking network requirements" then "Cannot connect to this network"

Okay, sorry about that. I will open the question and let the other experts take a look at it. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's solved. The problem was the phone. The hotspot was set up to only permission connection to "allowed devices". I'm not sure how or when this was changed but once I allowed the hotspot to connect to all devices the problem was solved. Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Great. So when Windows 10 got updated, its identity was changed, and your phone's permission was set to only "Allow devices". I'm glad you got it working now. Do you need help with anything else on your Windows 10? Or anything else? Please let me know. Thank you.