Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Network Architect
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt. Certified Network Engineer/Architect
23511658

Readynas
suddenly started reining
resyncing

Customer Question

Customer: readynas
suddenly started reining
resyncing
taking forever
and i have no idea why
looks like one hard disk is bad but i don't know if thats true or which one is bad
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i got a message in the logs saying starting resync.. and another message saying volume data changed from inactive to redundant
thats all
and it is resyncing since 14 hours
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Networking Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i rememeber i used to get messages regarding bad sectors in a hard disk with a number.. i tried to contact netgear they told me since ithe number is ***** than 100 don't worry
like 2 months ago
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

Is the data still in tact? You are able to access that volume?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You made me pay $24 and now you ask me to pay 100$?
I made my decision to pay based on the amount.. Is I knew it's 100 I wouldn't have done it.
Now since you haven't answered me. I want full refund or I will call the police for cheating customers and thriving them to pay more.

I am helping you. But if you think calling the police is a better use of your time, do that and let me know when you wish to continue. Also, I cannot help you if you do not respond to what I have asked you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i thought you wanted me to pay more money.. thats my mistake i apologize. i don't know where i saw that!

I am not sure if my data is intact.. i think it is .. i can login to the main page and go to shares and see the data.. the system is very slow though,, and it has been syncing for the past 48 hours..

So, it is very likely that one of the drives is bad. It should be telling you which one it is sop you can replace it. When you replace it with a good drive, it will resync right away. And what they told you about 100 errors or less being OK.... it's not. If you have a single error, it just means more are coming. If under warranty, they should replace the drive.

Whatever you do, do not remove more than a single drive at any given time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

right now it is resyncing with he bad drive.. , and it is too slow it has been going for 48 hours or more.. can i just switch it off. and replace the bad drive now in the middle of the sync?

Yes, you can. As long as you are sure you know which one is bad.

You are right... it will never finish syncing so you don't have a choice. And, all you need is one good drive.