Nathan, System Administrator
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

I am profoundly deaf & I need speech to text on screen with

Customer Question

I am profoundly deaf & I need speech to text on screen for meetings with hearing members bear this in mind no internet in meeting room so am asking is there something I can buy from PC World or some other supplier. I have tried Apple/ipad dictation its works only in stores with loop internet but elsewhere dosent work
Have already done this to Just answer today but got refund with no experlation
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

I work frequently with the deaf and blind communities and am an expert in assistive technology.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately there are very few good options for this. They are either inexpensive and low quality, require network connection, or for the ones that can work well are very costly.

The biggest limitation is that this type of process requires considerable processing power, and most handheld or portable devices just can't work quickly enough under their own power. They all require cloud computing power, hence the need for the internet connection.

You could consider an ipad that has a 4g/lte connection (built in cellular data link) or getting a cellular based wifi hotspot to run your dictation on the ipad.

One of the few internal options (for an actual computer, not a tablet) would be to use Dragon dictation software. But this software is meant for an individual user and woul dhave trouble understanding voices and syntax that it has not been previously "trained" to.

I realize that you are in the UK, but here in the use the ADA requires that most employers and organizations make reasonable accommodations for situations such as yours, at their expense.
What I would do for you if you were to attend a meeting with me would be to set you up with a CART translator (an on site typist who transcribes everything for you), with a sign language interpreter, or with a TTY relay service. I'm not sure if you sign or not, but there are online services, typically where you'd dial in via a conference call so that they can hear the audio, then they would translate/sign back to you via a video chat (internet required) on your device, or provide transcription for you that way.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks but in PC world stores they set up Apple/ipad with plug in microphone & works 100% perfect from speech to text becos of internet loop in there stores so surely there got to be a software to connect to make its work however thanks. to book interpreter its cost me £75 for every meeting & am a pensioner

regards ***** *****

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Yes Keith, it is possible, as I explained. BUT that transcription requires an internet connection.

Ipads do not have the necessary processing power and memory to do this on its own in an offline environment, the cloud computing servers are required to process that transcription in real time. If you want to use that option, you'd have to get an ipad that has a cellular internet connection for that function. This is the case for essentially all similar programs.