Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I am having a problem with connections on internet. The

Customer Question

I am having a problem with connections on internet. The network adapter is loosing connection with the LAN. can the intel pro/100 VE network connection be causing this problem? Or do I need a new adapter? Using windows vista pack 2.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It could be the cable, both at either end, and anywhere along its length.

Check first the ends, whether they are slipping out (which happens when the latch breaks off a cable, and there is any stress, even minute, on the cables that could pull them loose.)

That's unlikely, but check for it. After that, check the cable along its length, think about how often you have coiled and uncoiled or bent it, whether there might be a puncture along its length, and whether it passes near any

A. other wires

B. major appliances, or minor one with a motor in them.

If 'no' to all that, you might just have to replace it, if the cable was cheaper rather than more expensive. Or at minimum swap it with another of similar or greater length, for a temporary test or a long-term repair (if the test turns out favorably and the length disparity isn't objectionable - if it were, replace it with a new one.)

Then try connecting the cable (if the above does not cure the problem) to a different port on the router or switch.

After that, if the disconnection still happens, it's either

1. the software on your computer - which if infected with malware, can cause just this sort of problem.

or

2. the network adapter itself, in the computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing is working. I disconnected the windows firewall and it seems to work. I have malwarebytes working but maybe I will need another fire wall?
Also I am thinking of other choices.
1.attach an external ethernet network adapter.
2. set the computer to factory settings. (this is the last thing I want to do.)
3. get a new computer.
I am working on Vista so to replace the network adapter is costly if it doesn't
work.
I disconnected the windows firewall and that seems to be working. I have maleware byte so I am not too concerned. So oyou think I need another firewall?
What do you think?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Windows Firewall is turned Off, and that helps the connection stay stable? is that what you mean?

Go to

Control Panel - Security Center

and see what it says you have active and turned On, in the 'Firewall' section.

See, also, what it says you have in the 'Anti-Virus' section ?