Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

I am new user of netgear router. There is a problem

Customer Question

Hi. I am new user of netgear router. There is a problem happening right now. I already set up the router and can run on my macbook but i cannot get wifi access with other devices such as my phone, my family's mobile devices. So, how can I fix this? Thanks!
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is this a new router? Or was it working fine previously with all devices?
Is there any error or message?
Are you looking for the Wi-Fi/wireless password?
What's the model of your netgear router?
Is your Macbook laptop currently connected to your Netgear router with an Ethernet/network cable? Or is the connection wireless?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a new router. I just set up a few minutes ago and I can connect wifi with my macbook and it works perfectly well (now i am using this wifi and asking questions and help) I already got the wifi user and pw. The router model is N300 WiFi Router. Yes it is currently connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the wifi but when i connect it with my phone, it is still waiting to be connected with the wifi.
What's the brand/model of your phone? Please tell me what happens when you connect the phone or a mobile device to your Wi-Fi / wireless network name. What's the exact error or message? How about connecting another mobile device? What does it say? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iphone 6
Also, I chnaged the wifi name and password. And yeah when i connect it, it is loading like circular thing running. No alerts nor messages shows up though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It also happnes the same situation on other devices.
What is the security options did you set to at the Wireless setting on the router? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WPA2-PSK [AES]

Please set Security Options to WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK..., then apply / save, then check. Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope still the same
:(

Sorry, please disconnect the power cord from the Netgear router for a few minutes, then reconnect, then wait a few minutes, then check that the Security Options should still be set to WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK..., then see if you can connect the iPhone and another mobile device. Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the security option is what you mentioned above but the other devices are still not working

Sorry, it is strange. You did disconnect / reconnect the power cord from the netgear router right?

On the iPhone, can you go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset network settings, and confirm reset, then see if the iphone can connect?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did that.
the phone cant connect to the wifi even after i entered the password.
I tried with my mom's 5s, dad's note3 and sis's 5c

Can you test setting Security Options to None / Disabled, then apply / save, then see if it works. Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tested
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does not work

Sorry, do you see any firmware update for the new router? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope

What's the model of your Netgear router? Can you check firmware at:

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/

- If that does not work, make sure the router has power, then press and hold the factory restore / reset button at the back/bottom of the router for about 12 seconds, then wait a bit, then set up the router with no security options again, and check.

When you are available, please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.