Randy IT Tech
Randy IT Tech, Network Administrator
Experience:  Information Technology Specialist
62741268

I had to change my router and reconfigure my network,

Customer Question

Hi, I had to change my router and reconfigure my network, everything seems to work fine except for my printer which is a HP 2080 Color Laserjet all in one, I can't print because it says is offline and unable to connect and I don't know what to do to make it on line again
Category: Networking
Expert:  Randy IT Tech replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** certified professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.

I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

• When you change the wireless network settings for your wireless home network, you will need to configure your wireless printer with the new settings.

To configure the new wireless settings on a printer that features a Wireless Setup Wizard:

1. From the printer’s control panel, open the Wireless Settings menu. Many products provide access to the Wireless Settings by pressing the Wireless Button or touching the Wireless icon on the printer’s control panel. Consult the printer’s help documentation if you do not know how to access the Wireless Settings menu.
    2. From the Wireless Settings menu select Wireless Setup Wizard. The Wireless Setup Wizard will guide you through the process of configuring your printer with the new wireless settings. Input your Wireless Network Name and Wireless Password ***** prompted.
    3. You can print a Wireless Network Test report from the Wireless settings menu to confirm the printer was successfully connected to your network.

To configure your wireless settings on a printer that does not feature a Wireless Setup Wizard:

1. First, make sure your computer is connected to your network. You will also need a USB cable, which is temporarily used during the configuration. Be sure NOT to connect the USB cable between the computer and printer until instructed to do so by the software.

If your HP printer software is already installed on your computer

Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7:

Use Start -> Programs -> HP -> {your printer model> -} Printer Setup & Software.

Windows 8:

• Launch the Printer Software from the Start screen (icon for the printer model name) or from the tile named for your printer.
      • Select (click or touch) Utilities on the top of the Printer Software screen
      • Select Printer Setup & Software

Please let me know if you need any other assistance.

Please take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then click on submit.

Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nop! this answer doesn't meet my needs, I have a MacBook with OS X 10.6.8, and my printer is not wireless, the printer is connected to the router by an ethernet cable, It usually worked that way I sent to print wireless to the router and the router send the info to the printer by the ethernet, but now it doesn't work

okay, you will need to add or change the ip address on the mac to the new router ip. Follow these steps on your mac please>

1. Select System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Double-click on Print & Scan (Print & Fax).
  3. In the Print & Scan (Print & Fax) window, click on the plus sign button.
  4. Click on the IP tab in the Print Browser window.
    1. Set Protocol to HP- Socket.
    2. For Address, enter the IP address of the printer you want to add. IP addresses of MSL printers are available on the printer list.
    3. Leave the Queue field blank. The Name and Location fields are for your reference to keep track of your printers and differentiate between multiple ones.
    4. For Print Using, do not select Generic Postscript Printer. OS X will try to locate an appropriate driver but if it cannot then It is recommended to download the correct driver from the manufacturer. Click on the name of the printer on the printer list to be taken to the manufacturer's driver download page.
  5. Click Add. The lab printer will be added to your list of printers.

You can use the Ping tool in Network Utility to make sure your Mac can connect to your printer using the IP connection.

• In Network Utility, after using Ping, if you see text similar to "

64 bytes from 10.0.1.2: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0.399 ms

", the IP connection to your printer was successful. Proceed with adding your printer.

Host is down

", the IP connection to your Printer is not established. You need resolve this issue before you can add the printer on your Mac. Consult the documentation for your printer, or contact the manufacturer for assistance with establishing the IP connection to your Mac.

These are the Mac/Apple instructions on how to connect to an IP-capable printer

1. From the Apple menu choose System Preferences.
  2. From the View menu choose Printers & Scanners.
  3. If the padlock icon in the lower left corner of the System Preferences window is locked, click it and enter an administrator name and password ***** unlock it.
  4. Click the Add printer (+) icon at the bottom of the Printers pane to open the Add Printer window.
  5. If the printer appears when the Default icon is selected, select it and skip to step 8.
  6. If the printer does not appear with the Default icon selected, click the IP button on the toolbar.
  7. IP printers have three printing protocols to choose from. Select the appropriate option for your printer.Note: If you pick a protocol other than HP Jetdirect, you may have to manually select the appropriate PPD and installable options.
    • HP Jetdirect – Socket: Some HP and other printer manufacturers use this protocol.
    • Internet Printing Protocol – IPP: Modern printers and printer servers use this protocol.
    • Line Printer Daemon – LPD: Earlier printers and print servers may use this protocol.
  8. Click the Address field and enter the IP address of your printer.

When your Mac communicates with your IP-capable printer the message "Valid and complete address" appears below the Address field. If the message "Invalid or incomplete address" appears, make sure the IP address is properly entered and that it is the IP address configured on the printer. Next, your Mac establishes an IP connection to your printer and displays "Gathering printer information…". It then selects the associated printer driver in the Print Using menu.

If your Mac is able to communicate with the printer, but it is not able to automatically determine the print driver needed, choose the option "Select Printer Software…" from the Print Using pop-up menu in the Add Printer window. Enter your printer model in the search field to quickly find the appropriate driver. If the model of printer is not listed, but your printer is a PostScript printer or PCL Laser printer, try the "Generic PostScript" or "PCL Laser printer" driver options. Generic printer drivers may not let you access all the features of your printer.
  9. Once your Mac finishes communicating with the printer, click Add to create your printer queue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I'm having trouble finding the printer's IP address, you said that I would find it on the printer's list but I have no idea where do I find such thing

You can use the Ping tool in Network Utilityto make sure your Mac can connect to your printer using the IP connection.

", the IP connection to your printer wassuccessful. Proceed with adding your printer.

Host is down

", the IP connection to your Printer isnot established. You need resolve this issue before you can add the printer on your Mac. Consult the documentation for your printer, or contact the manufacturer for assistance with establishing the IP connection to your Mac.