Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I am at a hotel and not getting prompted wireless password

Customer Question

I am at a hotel and not getting prompted for the wireless password ***** get onto their internet. How do I connect?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

First off, please swipe down your cursor at the top-right of your desktop screen to bring up the Charms bar at the right, and then click "Settings".

Now, click on the wireless icon (with bars) at the bottom; do you see the hotel's wireless network listed? If so, click on it and enter the WIFI password ***** prompted, to connect to the same.

Please update me on the results below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand swiping cursor at upper right. If I move the cursor at upper right, nothing happens. Also not sure what charms bar is.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

No issues; please go to your desktop first, and then move your cursor to the very top-right corner and move it down quickly; does this bring up a black bar at the right?

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am connected to hotel wireless, but it never prompts for password.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

I see, so you are already connected; are you able to access the Internet itself?

Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

Please open up your browser now, and try opening any website there - does it prompt you for their password (on the browser page itself)?

Do let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it never reaches Yahoo website.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, in that case, the hotel might have some other settings/login page that you need to access first, in order to set up your computer to use their network. Let me forward your question to our other experts now, who will be able to assist you further; please do not rate until your issue has been resolved.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I connect to the hotel wireless, I get a message that "Additional login info may be required. Click to open your browser."
I click which opens IE, but nothing ever comes up
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

I see that no other expert has picked this up yet, so let's try and troubleshoot the issue further for now.

Now, please close all open browser windows on the system, and then press the Windows key + R (on your keyboard) to bring up the RUN box.

Type in inetcpl.cpl and press ENTER. An Internet Options window should come up.

Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Reset Internet Explorer. Click Reset once again, when prompted. Click OK > OK.

Next, re-open your browser once, and then click on the "Additional login info may be required." popup when it comes up (if it does not come up, restart the system once).

Does it bring up a login window this time? Do keep me posted.