Drew
Drew, Network Specialist
Experience:  Using 30+ years of experience to help you get it working.
68433724

Trying to figure out how to port forward my security camera

Customer Question

Hi. Trying to figure out how to port forward my security camera NVR thru Apple Airport Extreme and TWC modem (Arris SB6183) for remote viewing.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is Drew. A couple of questions:

What port does your security camera use?

Do you know how to access the configuration pages of your Surfboard modem?

Please note nothing needs to be done on your Airport. It is just the wireless connection to your modem. You can think of it as just the way your wireless devices connect to the modem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Uses ports 80, 8000, and 1050
I know how to acces the configuration page on surfboard but it doesn't give much in the way of configuration options.
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

OK, let me see if I can find out how your configure your modem. The general way this works is there is a section in the configuration where you specify that connections to ports 80, 8000, and 1050 from the Internet get forwarded to the IP address of your security camera.

So say your public IP address is A.B.C.D and your security camera address is 192.168.0.100. When you connect to A.B.C.D port 80, your modem receives that connection on it's Internet port and then forwards that connection to 192.168.0.100 on your home network.

Does this make sense?

So now we just have to figure out if we can get into the modem settings. I suspect TWC doesn't make it easy as they don't want you in there. But I'll do a Google search and see if I can turn up anything.

Cheers,

Drew

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

It appears I was incorrect in my previous statement about your Airport. I missed the Extreme part and it seems it *is* a router. Thus we need to set up port forwarding in it. Do you know how to access your Airport Extreme configuration?

Cheers,

Drew

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

I found this web page that explains how to set up port forwarding on your Airport Extreme. Please review it and see if that helps.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2081139/how-to-set-up-port-forwarding.html

I don't know if you can add all 3 ports in one rule. You can try by separating the port numbers with commas. If that doesn't work, you'll need to make 3 rules, one for each port. Forward both TCP and UDP ports.

Please give a try and let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Drew

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm just checking in to see if you've have time to try setting up port forwarding on your Airport Extreme?

Please let me know how it's going or if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Drew

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in again as I haven't heard from you. Were you able to get things working?

Cheers,

Drew