D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Experience:  5 years as a Network Switching Systems Operator In the US ARMY (31F)
19897260

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop, I get

Customer Question

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop, I get "limited" on my wifi connection.
Category: Networking
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

First, I need to know the full name brand and model of your laptop.

Also, are you able to get internet on it if you use an ethernet cord?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Toshiba Satellite L70-ABT3N22. I get intermittent Connectivity from my wifi in my home. I can get it, then it goes away, when it comes back it will say "limited".
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Can you check the following.

Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press R

Onscreen should be a box that says Open / Run . In that box type in,

devmgmt.msc and then hit enter.

Now, inside the device manager windows that shows up, were looking for any device that says unknown or unrecognized device, and it may have a yellow warning mark next to it. If you see any of those devices, let me know what they are labeled as and what category they fall under.

Also, double click the network ( adapters ) section, and tell me what you see listed inside.. ( and if any of the items have any warning symbols, etc)

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
under other devices.....unknown device
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
under adapters....no warnings
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 1 year ago.

Thats most likely youre wifi adapter, but it could be something else. We may needto right click and uninstall that unknown device.

And then download and install the correct wifi driver.. But lets make sure that device is your wireless card first.

On the same device manager screen, open the network section and tell me word for word what you see.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter
Bluetooth Devise (Personal Area Network)
Bluetooth Devise (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
WAN Miniport (IP)
WAN Miniport (IPv6)
WAN Miniport (L2TP)
WAN Miniport (L2TP)
WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
WAN Miniport (PPTP)
WAN Miniport (SSTP)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oops (L2TP) entered twice.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, Ive got the toshiba website pulled up, it shows an atheros wireless lan driver. Yours looks like you have the bluetooth but your missing the normal wireless driver.

So lets do the following, right click and uninstall t he unknown device. Then,using another computer we need to download this file.

http://tinyurl.com/nstrcwz

Once downloaded, open that file and install it. Once the setup file has been ran it should show on screen that it is installing the atheros wlan driver.

If it asks to make changes, allow it to do so. Once you have installed that file, restart the computer and then attempt to connect with your home wireless network.

if you encounter any issues, or if you complete these steps please send a reply. ( Whether these steps work or not )

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
install the driver on a different computer?
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 1 year ago.

Apologies, I should have been clearer.

We need to use a different computer to download the file. ( unless you have internet on the toshiba by another means?)

Once the file is downloaded on the other computer, move the file to a USB stick, or any other external storage devices you have. So we can then connect the USB stick to the Windows 10 machine. And then install the needed wifi driver~

D.S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't work. Now I only have the first 4 items on the list under network adapters.
Under internet troubleshooting it says: Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to transfer the file over.

If you did. When you opened it and installed it.. Did it show an atheros screen and say it was installing the wireless driver?

If it did. Did you restart the computer?

If you did all of the above. Lets try something different. Click the wireless icon at the lower right of your screen.

Click the words network settings. Then click advanced settings. Then scroll down. When you see your network name. Left click it, then click forget.

Then, click the wireless icon again. Now, click your wifi network. Enter your password ***** see if it will connect.

Let me know if this works, or if you get stuck at any point specifically.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't work. I don't have wifi on my main computer anymore either. I think maybe I have more issues than just my laptop. I'm using my cellular wifi right now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I'm online on my laptop, but no internet on my desktop. I'm confused for sure.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 1 year ago.

So the laptop is working~ Thats a good sign

Try restarting the desktop. And if that doesnt work. Forget the wireless network on your desktop, and then reconnect.

( if its not windows 10, just google windows 8 forget wireless network, or whatever version of windows you have~

Let me know the outcome..

D.S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I have Windows 7 on the desktop. I think I did what you asked. Right now I have internet on both, but I've had that earlier so I'll see what happens. Before it would work for awhile and then it would go to the "limited access" again.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 1 year ago.

Understood. And im of the same mind you are, if the issue is intermittent then we dont know if its properly fixed.

Lets give it over the weekend. If it goes back to a limited connection sooner, send a message and let me know when it happened and if you were doing anything at the time.. ( Such as resuming from sleep, or turning it on, or trying to access a specific website, etc )

If all is well by Monday or Tuesday, then we can safely consider the issue solved. So if all goes well over the weekend please remember to return and mark this issue as solved, as currently my work history shows I was unable to help you.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I sure will. Being that today is Monday, I surely should know something by the weekend. Thank you.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 1 year ago.

I figured 7 days would be a solid amount of time to verify whether it was fixed or not. But the weekend works too~ Will keep an eye out for your responses either way.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dustin.
Expert:  D.Sandlin replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem.

*Im not meaning to spam message you, but as long as Im signed into work its company policy that I send the last reply of each exchange*

D.S