Christopher Love
Christopher Love,
Experience:  Owner at CJL & Associates
70121091

Lenovo Z710. 1 year old. Has had a stop responding problem

Customer Question

Lenovo Z710. 1 year old. Has had a stop responding problem from day 1. Every 15 minutes to 1/2 hour it stops for 1 to 2 minutes. Mostly on internet. Tried different browsers, no help.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. If you upgraded to windows 10 recently you can go back to what you had before, if you want to do that let me know. Does this only happen with internet programs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Specs: Lenovo Z710
i7 2.4 ghz, 8gig ram, 1tb harddrive. Original OS Win8.1
I could wipe it clean and restore (this is last resort, I hate doing it... lots of programs and data) with the restore disk but since the problem is from day one the restore would put me right back where I was. Then from what I understand the Windows 10 upgrade is no longer free. Not that I am comfortable with Windows 10 sharing my life with the world but it is a better system than 8.1. Since the problem happened in 8.1 and also 10, I do not think the operating system is the culprit. I have two other computers (both Dells) purchased same day as this one with Windows 8.1 and there are no problems. I contacted Lenovo right after I first had the problem. They said the warranty was only for hardware and this is a software problem. They said they would look at it if I shipped it back and paid them 200.00. I am not convinced it is software. I researched the problem and some say that the video driver could cause the problem. I just updated the video driver last week. I originally started using IE 11 and when the problem showed up I switched to Firefox. Same problem. After the 10 upgrade I tried Edge, same problem. It appears that this does only happen with the internet. I am using wireless. I tried to use a cable versus the wireless in the event it was a wireless issue. Same problem. I do not lose connection when going wireless. The strange thing is some times I can be online for an hour and it does not stop responding, other times it happens every 10 minutes. It is random. It seems like possibly it happens more often when running on battery and the battery is low. But then again I have been on for 20 minutes now and the battery is at 50% and I have not had a problem yet.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

You do not have to wipe it you can revert if you upgraded recently and the upgrade is free for 2 years. After that 2 years is up if you do not upgrade you would have to pay. A driver would not cause this if it only happens on internet browsers. I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.

Expert:  Christopher Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Chris. I looked at your description of the problem and I agree with the last expert. Probably not a driver. I am curious. If you are using an anti-virus, does it check internet sites for you? I'm familiar with Norton doing background tasks and depending on your anti-virus, you might want to turn off internet protection and see if the problem is resolved. See if that helps. If not I'll opt out to another expert.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using Norton 360. I will check it and turn it off. If this works I will be so embarrassed!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just curious though. Isn't the internet my biggest threat?

Hello again. Just my opinion but I've used both Norton and AVG and have tried them both with Internet protection turned off. If a website tries to install an infection to your local machine, your Norton should still flag it as a threat. Try it and see if that is the culprit. At the least, you'll have identified the problem. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hopeful, but I still get a not responding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want to rate yet. You have time in this.If you can help, I would be glad for you to be compensated. I still get a not responding. I did try to turn off all internet protection. I even disabled Norton and went online sans-condom. I did not help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I give up. Please refund my $18.00