Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

I logged onto my employer wifi using my personal mobile

Customer Question

Hi I logged onto my employer wifi using my personal mobile phone, I used the generic password ***** users use and gave no name. I loowed at an adult site for about 10 minutes. My phones name for wifi and blue tooth is my name. Can my worknow find out its me?
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm concerned I will be dismissed, a mate gave me the password ***** they do not know ive got it. It was only today and I won't do it again, I have thrown the phone and reported lost.
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. You should not need to worry about this. Usually, employer does not track or look at what websites each employee go to. Even if they do, they don't know if it's a bad website or not. Employers / companies only worry about hackers, so they usually only watch out for any suspicious activity, i.e., their company's data is being transferred outside. And lastly, just to assure you, anyone can put any name they want on their phone, so another person could put your name on the phone if they want to, so there is no way your employer could accuse you.

Do you have any further question?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi i used my employer s wifi with my personal mobile phone an Android mobile phone sat to my name for Bluetooth id. I looked at an adult site for 10 mins. To access i gave no name or signed anything, just entered the standard password ***** people use. You think i need not worry about being fired? Based on your reply? Thanks

You're welcome. That's correct; based on my information, you do not need to worry about this. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

You're welcome. If you need help with anything else, such as computer issue or electronics issue, please come back any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Final question you say they cant tell bad sites and are only looling for hackers? So my situation using my mobile on works wifi is different from using my works laptop logged into works network and looking atcan adult site, as they are looking for bad sit then? They coukd tell then if i looked at an adult site, which i have never done. Thanks

Whether you use a laptop or phone, it's the same situation. There are millions of websites in the world; they would have to look at all of the website links and check. What I meant was that usually, company only look at website logs when they suspect hacking is going on. Even then, unless the website / server you went to is suspicious, i.e., it has been known to hack into other computers/systems, your company would not care to check on that website. And even then, they do not know if it's from you personally as I said previously, anyone can put any name on their phone, laptop, etc. they want. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What im asking is there is a sctrict it policy at my work and if i logged on to my companies network and server via a lan cable to work and surf the web and looked at an adult site they would know as many sites are blocked, but using there wifi and my own device is different? Basicaly i dont need to worry? Last qustion and thanks

You're welcome. You can ask me any question as you need. It depends on each company. Some companies block many websites on their computers, but not on personal devices that employees have. Some companies block many websites on all work and personal devices. Some companies do not block any website at all. And yes, personal device is different since company has not (could not) installed any tracking device on it.

Thank you.

Do you need anything else? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi yes, i have read on line that mu company may monitor the wifi and know who is using it and even triangulate the location of the device. Do you really think i should not worry?

If your company does monitor, then they don't just monitor wifi connection; they also monitor wired / cable connection. If a device is company-owned, they can install tracking software on it, so they know which person / which account is using which device. But the phone is your personal device, so no company's tracking program was installed on it. Since your company does do monitoring, then they know which website was accessed by which device, however, since your phone is personal, they do not know if it's from you or from another person, so you should not worry. Thank you.