Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I'm having a problem with my internet speed. I have a Lenovo

Customer Question

I'm having a problem with my internet speed. I have a Lenovo B575 1450 (about 3yrs old)
I am now connected to the internet with fiber optics at 100 mbps. My laptop only tests out at between 19-20mbps. I was told it was my network interface card, so I tried to replace that but it was even lower, at like 12-13. What could be the problem? I am just an average user, so please respond in fairly easily understood terms. Thanks. Char
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Slow internet or network card throughput might depend upon several factors. First of all:

- What version of Windows is on your Lenovo B575, and how much RAM memory does it have?

(Too little RAM could slow the whole machine down, making it grind-grind-grind away, and perhaps / probably also slowing down the machine in general and the network throughput.)

- Is the network card a 100 Mbps card, or is it a 10 Mbps card? (I don't think this is the problem. It wouldn't run faster than 10 Mbps if it were the latter.)

- Is the laptop's network port connected directly to the modem for the Fiber Optic internet? (If it goes through any other device, that might be slowing it down.)