Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

My wireless is blocked because I cannot turn off Airplane in

Customer Question

my wireless is blocked because I cannot turn off Airplane in Windows 10. I upgraded Windows 7 on a Dell XPS 64-bit desktop. Need help.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Try to see if you can turn it off this way.

Click Start (the icon in the lower left corner)

click Settings

click Network & Internet

click Airplane Mode

You should be able to move the little slider to the off position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, Byron, but your answer is no help. There are dozens of similar questions to mine on the Internet. The slider button on all our computers (mine and those asking similar question) display no "off", just an "on." Any attempt to slide the button to the left results in its bouncing back to its original position. I just cannot get Airplane to turn off and stop blocking my networking, which worked perfectly well in Windows 7 and before I updated to Windows 10. I still desperately need help.Customer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a phone number I can reach you at?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Byron: A Google search readily confirms that many Windows user who recently upgraded to Windows 10 are having the same type of problem that I have described. There is not a "off" displayed for the Airplane mode, only an "on". Any attempt to slide the button to the left does not work. Has anyone found a way to delete the airplane mode? Or a work-around? On a desktop I absolutely have no need for the airplane mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Byron: A Google search readily confirms that many Windows users who recently upgraded to Windows 10 are having the same type of problem that I have described. There is not a "off" displayed for the Airplane mode, only an "on". Any attempt to slide the button to the left does not work. Has anyone found a way to delete the airplane mode? Or a work-around? On a desktop I absolutely have no need for the airplane mode.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

I've been looking around and this issue is pretty common.

I have no idea if this will work but if you upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 it's possible Windows 8.1 wireless drivers might make a difference.

From what I've seen XPS desktops are using a Dell Wireless 1703 card.

You can get the 8.1 drivers here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=P84MY

This is for the XPS 8700

You may have already seen this but in case you haven't......https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3fu666/windows_10_turned_on_airplane_mode_and_wont_turn/

Someone also claimed that going in to Device Manager and under Human Interface Devices disabling HID-Compliant wireless radio controls fixed the problem for them.