Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

I bought a Linsky WI-FI range extender 9AC1200 MAX) I 't

Customer Question

I bought a Linsky WI-FI range extender 9AC1200 MAX)
I don't have a lap top computer or mobile phone and there is no phone jack on my computer to plug into. I have a ATT NVG510 wireless modem . Is there any way to set up the range extender.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. You do not need to connect the Linksys Range Extender to the computer with a cable in order to set it up. You can set it up via wireless connection. Your computer is a desktop and it is wireless right?
Please try the following:

- First, please check at the back/bottom of your ATT NVG510 wireless modem for your wi-fi/wireless password/key/passphrase, or you can check with the following steps:
- Click on the network/wireless icon at the bottom right of the screen, then click on Open Network and Sharing Center.
(Or click on Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center.)
Then click on Manage wireless networks on the left.
Then click your wireless network name.
Then right-click on your wireless network name and click on Properties.
Then click on the Security tab.
Then select the box at Show characters.
Then you will see the Network security key above it, that is your Wi-Fi / wireless password. (It is case-sensitive.)

- Now to set up the range extender:

1. Connect power to the range extender.
  2. Close Internet on the computer.
  3. Click on the wireless / network icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then select / connect to the wireless network name called Linksys Extender Setup.
    (Or another way: click on Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center, then click on Connect to a network, then select / connect to the wireless network name called Linksys Extender Setup.)
  4. Click on the website below:
    http://192.168.1.1
  5. Then it should show the range extender setup page, then follow the on-screen instructions there in order to set up your range extender.
  6. Then you can connect the computer back to your original wi-fi/wireless network name or to the range extender's network name.

- If needed, please click on the website below for full instructions / illustrations:

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=140738

Note: Use the "Wireless setup" option (not the "Wired setup" option.)

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.