Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Network Architect
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt. Certified Network Engineer/Architect
23511658

Internet went down in a storm. new broadband modem

Customer Question

internet went down in a storm. new broadband modem (connecting through Wan Miniport PPPOE) but won't connect to internet I get - Plug a cable into the network adapter "local area connection"- or error 815.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

Is it the broadband modem that isn't connecting? Because that is something that the provider would have to have provisioned and connected correctly. You also need to have a router not just a modem. If you have a modem, you will only be able to connect one device to it at a time. In fact even if you were to swap devices to use one of the time, it usually wouldn't work very well because the original devices Mac address is stored by the provider and it is usually quite some time that has to pass before you can connect a different system to the modem. So what you'll have to do for more than one computer be connected to your internal network is to have a router or an access point to connect wirelessly that aggregates your traffic on the inside of the broadband modem.