Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

I'm trying to setup my E1000 router and it is not letting it

Customer Question

Hi
I'm trying to setup my
E1000 router and it is not letting it set up from cd
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed network professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.
I'm sorry about the issue. Was it working previously? Or is this a new router?
Is there any error or message?
What's the brand/model of your Internet modem device?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was working previously at one time, it was put away and hasn't been used so I loaded it
Error message says router was not successfully set up when I put the cd in my computer
I remember the router name was gold horse but don't remember the security code to it
If you test connecting the modem to the router's Internet port with an Ethernet cable, then connect the computer to a LAN port on the router with another Ethernet cable, then wait a bit, then does internet work that way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This router is the linksys e1000
That's the model of the router. How about the brand/model of the Internet modem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the modem is an arris surfboard model sb6121

Thank you. Please try the following fix:

1. Go to Start->Control Panel->Add/remove programs, and remove the Cisco Connect or Linksys Connect program, if it's there.
  2. Connect the modem to the router's Internet port with an Ethernet cable, then connect the computer to any LAN port on the router with another Ethernet cable, and connect power cord to the router.
  3. Use a pin or pen, and push and hold the small (red) Reset button at the back of the router for about seven seconds.
  4. Insert the router's CD disk to install / set up the router. (Or you can download / run the router's setup program at the website below):
    http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148397
  5. (Or another way is to connect both modem and computer to router as in Step #2 above, then go to the website http://192.168.1.1 , and enter admin for both the username and password ***** prompted, then it will show the setup page there.)

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.