Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

Dell laptop mini (running XP) is the base of the router.

Customer Question

dell laptop mini (running XP) is the base of the router. Laptop mini is connected to the cable. router is connected to the laptop mini. There is not communication happening between the basic wireless setup from the Cisco connection that i see on the laptop mini to the router. Wi-fi protected setup is not working.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed network professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.
I'm sorry about the issue. Was it working previously?
What's the model of your router?
What's the model of your dell mini windows xp laptop? Please check at the back/bottom of it.
Does the laptop see the router's wireless network name and/or any other wireless network names?
Is the Internet currently working on the laptop when it's connected to the router with the Ethernet/network cable?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was but it was very slow
Lynksis E2000
XP Home Edition 2002 service pack 3 (intel)
The laptop does not see the router-no wireless network connection no LAN connection. It is connected to the internet (via cable) and internet is working on the laptop.
Currently I have a PC working from the router along with two ipads and my iphone.
My ipad and phone are working via the router but it is slow.
The pc appears to be connected to the internet, apparently from the router. My confusion is in the very slow speeds and getting thrown off of the internet often today as well as the wireless connection from my laptop mini
"wireless connection
connected: firewalled
Dell wireless 1500 wireless N-WLAN mini card.
Does this mean that because the lap top mini is connected to the internet via cord that I don't need it to be connected via LAN or Wireless?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why the very slow and getting knocked off so much today?
the laptop's internet works when it's connected to the linksys router with an Ethernet / network cable.
Did the slow / knocked off issue just occur today?
Can you disconnect the power cords from both the modern and the router for a few minutes,then reconnect, then wait a bit and check?
Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, laptop works because it is connected to the wired cable. There is an ethernet cable from the laptop mini to the router. Not sure that it does anything. It has been declining in speed for the past few days with today being the worst. I have already disconnected the cords and reconnected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is, the speed at which the devices that rely on the router have been declining in speed.

So after disconnecting the power cords from both the modem and the router, the internet is still slow on all computers and iPads?

If you test disconnecting the router, and connect the PC (or laptop) straight to the modem, how is the internet?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
disconnecting the PC from the router and to the modem is a logistical problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does one know if the slow speeds and losing internet are due to the providers issues or mine?

I'm sorry, what do you mean "logistical problem"?

If you can test the Internet without using the router, then we can confirm if the issue is with the router or with the modem and/or with your internet service provider.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have internet access on my ipad and PC (not the laptop) that communicate with the router.

I thought you said that the internet works on the laptop if you connect a (network) cable from the laptop to the router? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
laptop works because it is connected to a cable to the wall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is also an eithernet cable connecting the laptop with the router but Im not sure what that is doing.

What kind of cable is connected from the laptop to the wall? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what it is called

Does that cable connect to an electric outlet on the wall? Is it the power cable for charging the laptop? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not electrical. wide round cable that goes through the house to what appears to be a cable box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the power cable goes to an outlet

If you remove that wide round cable from the laptop, but leave the ethernet cable connected from laptop to linksys router, does internet work? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the phone jack appears to be going to the modem

OK, don't touch the modem. If you disconnect that wide round cable from the laptop, but leave the ethernet cable connected from laptop to linksys router, then does internet work on the laptop? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is plugged into the laptop is the power cord, the additional screen, the ethernet cable, the keyboard, the mouse and the monitor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
excuse me - there is only one connection to the monitor not two.

You also said there is a white round cable connected from laptop to the wall. So these are what connected to the laptop:

1. Power cord

2. Cable for monitor

3. Ethernet cable to linksys router

4. Keyboard

5. Mouse

6. White round cable to wall.

Is that correct? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at this point there appears to be connection between the computer and the LAN and the high speed internet as per the network connections page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this sounding like a ISP problem?

Since the slow / knocked off issue is affecting all devices: laptop, PC, iPad, iPhone, then the problem could be with:

1. modem

2. router

3. ISP.

- Can you remove the router temporarily, and connect the PC or laptop straight to the modem, then test internet? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry Viet. I am falling asleep as I type. I think my brain power is gone tonight.

Sorry about that. We can continue tomorrow. Thank you.