Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

My Dell laptop will not connect to my wireless router. All

Customer Question

My Dell laptop will not connect to my wireless router. All the other devices in house connect...phones, my wife's laptop, etc.....can you help?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed network professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.
I'm sorry about the issue. Was it working previously?
Is there any error or message?
What's the model of your Dell laptop?
Does it have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked before we got upgraded equipment from ATT. My laptop is Dell Latitude with Windows 7 Professional
Does the laptop see your Wi-Fi/wireless network name?
If yes, what happens when you select / connect to it?
Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sees it. It says "windows was unable to connect to Crumley"

Please try this: click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then click on the + (plus) sign in front of Network adapters and right-click on each of the items under it and click on Uninstall and confirm (but don't check the box to delete the driver if shown). Then restart the computer, and it will automatically reinstall, then see if you can connect.

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't work....still nothing

Sorry, you were able to try all my steps successfully, but it still says "windows was unable to connect to Crumley" ?

Can you test connecting an Ethernet/network cable from the Dell laptop to the wireless router?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't have a cable

Sorry, do you have a desktop also?

Maybe your neighbor has one you can borrow?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will run to a store and get one

Thank you. It costs a few dollars. Then I can connect remotely to that laptop and troubleshoot. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I have the computer connected to the router with the Ethernet cable

Does the internet work on Dell laptop with the Ethernet cable connected?

If yes, can you go to your email on the Dell laptop, so you can open the email message from JustAnswer, then click on the View Response in it in order to communicate with me at this web page on the Dell laptop?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it works while connected with the Ethernet cable.

Thank you. Can you go to your email on the Dell laptop, so you can open the email message from JustAnswer, then click on the View Response in it in order to communicate with me at this web page on the Dell laptop?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that. I am on the website communicating with you.

Than you. Can I connect remotely to your Dell laptop, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on it together with you? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Please accept the remote support offer, then please click on the website below in order to connect with me remotely:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=9b97e6f5-8974-4a77-95ec-3222533b00d2

, then allow the Elsinore.ScreenConnect program to download/run/open when prompted at the bottom.
Note: If it does not connect within 5 minutes, then please reply at the box below and let me know. Thank you,

I have resolved the issue via remote support. If you need help with anything else, please come back any time. Thank you very much.

I have resolved the issue via remote support. If you need help with anything else, please come back any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much for your patience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem not solved... Now when I click the connection I get "the settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network"

I'm sorry; that's strange. I got the wireless working a couple of days ago, but now it stops working. You did not make any change on the modem or on the laptop right?

- Please try this: click on Start\Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center, then click on Manage wireless networks on the left, then select your wireless network name, then right-click on your wireless network name, then remove it for now

, then see if you can connect to your wireless network name

; if needed, I can connect remotely and fix again.

Please reply back. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try this tomorrow and let you know how it workd
OK, thank you.