IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have a new Samsung UHD Smart TV and while it can see my

Customer Question

I have a new Samsung UHD Smart TV and while it can see my various wireless networks, it can't establish a connection with any of them after password ***** yet our computers are working and online using them...?
Category: Networking
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Please type here the exact Samsung TV model name. You should see that information by looking at the back side of the TV.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
UN48JS8500
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! Hold on...

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK, sorry for waiting.
I checked your Samsung TV model and it is experiencing the same WiFi issue as some other new TV models from Samsung. Many Samsung TV owners have reported that their brand new TV could see WiFi networks, but could not connect.
Because of that, Samsung has issued a new firmware that solves that WiFi issue. You will need to download the firmware file to your computer and then save it to a removable USB flash disk drive, and then connect it to your TV to apply the update.
You can download the firmware file on this link:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN48JS8500FXZA#manualsDownloads
In the Downloads section, click on DOWNLOAD (ZIP) to download the firmware file. It is quite a big file - 1.5 GB so it will take some time to download.
You can find the firmware update instructions there as well. Click on See More + below "DOWNLOAD (ZIP)" to download the Firmware Update User Manual.
After the firmware update, your TV will be able to connect to a WiFi network.
Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'm trying that now...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I Have an issue if using a Mac? I downloaded the T-HKMAKUC.zip and it converted it to a folder called "image". I gave that a parent folder named T-HKMAKUC based on instructions in the PDF but the TV doesn't see the files on the USB drive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you can advise how to proceed. Screenshots from the manual attached. I think I don't know how to do the "extraction" and that might be a Mac issue? Thank you!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Mac is fine. If you followed the instructions as described, but your TV does not recognize the USB drive or the files there, then you will need to format the USB drive as NTFS file format which is mostly used by Windows.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great - quickly, how do I do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From what I'm seeing quickly online, Mac's cannot do the NTFS formatting.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

You can format the USB drive to Windows format, but you then need to install the NTFS drivers since Mac doesn't support writing to NTFS drives.

You can follow the instructions on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXSUHwnOfas

Alternative way would be to go to someone with Windows computer so that you can transfer the files to NTFS formatted drive which the TV will recognize.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!
I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.
If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my help to you using the rating box located in the upper right corner of the page (box with the stars).
Thanks,