Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I have a Linksys EA 3500 N750 wireless router located on the

Customer Question

Good morning: I have a Linksys EA 3500 N750 wireless router located on the second floor of an apartment I rent. I also have a tenant on the first floor however, there is a reinforced concrete floor separating the two apartments. Needless to say, I have full signal strength on the second floor and poor on the first. I purchased a Linksys AC 1200 range extender and put it as close to the upstairs router though concrete some reinforced is between the two routers.
I cannot physically get the downstairs range extender any closer to the upstairs router.
I can connect the two routers with a USB cable if that's an option that would work. I am new to hooking up routers and modems so I could use some advice. Each of the routers has several USB ports though I do not know which to use to provide a direct wired connection if that is possible.
Your help is greatly appreciated, Bye Mike R
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Yuo will be best to setup a router as a wireless access point and then connect these via a network cable.
So you would purchase a second router (not an extender) and connect this via the LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the main router.
Then you setup a wireless network on this second router and they then connect to this.
Are you able to run a network cable between the two locations?