Ashik, PC Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Networking
16433418

Just upgraded from OS 7 to OS 10. I cannot access the

Customer Question

Just upgraded from OS 7 to OS 10. I cannot access the internet through my WiFi. Had no problems when using OS 7. Need your help
Category: Networking
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
What is the model and make of your computer ? If this is a custom built PC, what is the model of your WiFi adapter ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
custom built with AMD Quad core processor & 16 megs of memory. The WiFi adapter is a Netgear N-300. I tried to reload the program that came with the adapter, but I'm not sure it reloaded (the actual loading seemed to take too long; i.e., over 15 minutes). The motherboard is a ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 (Windows 8.0 ready). Right now (for the last 15 minutes) I am in Control Panel - All Control Panel Items - Trouble Shooting - Network & Internet - Detecting Problems ----- it does not seem to be finding any problems and is still searching
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried deleting the network adapter and reinstall it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Several times; I have disconnected the power cable and disconnected the cable running from the router to the Netgear adapter, waited 10 minutes and then reconnected all (no luck) In addition, I also made a hard connection from my router to my computer; that allowed me to get on to the internet. The only problem is that I needed over 50 ft of cable and that is very intrusive to moving around the house; therefore, it is very important that I get the WiFi system up and running. It works for my HP laptop and my wife's WOW! computer (I'm using it now)
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Go to Control Panel and select Device Manager. In Device Manager, find your WiFi adapter, right click on it and select Uninstall. Also uninstall old Netgear application from Control Panel > Programs and Features
Then press Windows and R keys and this will bring Run. Type regedit and press enter. In Registery Editor, click on Edit menu and select Find. Search 988248f3 and if it find anything, right click on it and delete it. Ignore if you can't find this.
Then download and install latest driver from here --> http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNA3100/WNA3100_SW_V2.2.0.4.zip
Then press Windows and R keys and type cmd and press enter. In command prompt, type this command and press enter --> netcfg -v -u dni_dne
Restart your computer. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have gone as far as typing 988248f3 and hitting enter. Right now the screen displays "Searching the Registry" - 10 minutes has passed and I'm still getting the same message -- is this right?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
that means the WiFi entry is not there. Move to next step and make sure you install the latest drivers from here --> http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNA3100/WNA3100_SW_V2.2.0.4.zip
This is an important step. Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just got the message "Finished Searching the Registry." The search did'nt find anything so I'm continuing with your procedure
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ignore that step. Follow the steps below;
Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features. Then uninstall Netgear application if you can see there. Then move to next step if you can't find Netgear application is Programs and Features.
Then download and install latest driver from this link --> http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNA3100/WNA3100_SW_V2.2.0.4.zip
Restart your computer. Check WiFi. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the confusion. Please do the 3 steps below;
Step 1 :
Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features (or Uninstall Program). If you see Netgear application there, uninstall it. If you don't see it, ignore this step.
Step 2 :
Now download and install latest driver from this link --> http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNA3100/WNA3100_SW_V2.2.0.4.zip
Step 3 :
After installing, latest drivers, press Windows and R keys and type cmd and press enter. In command prompt, type this command and press enter --> netcfg -v -u dni_dne
Restart your computer.
Let me know if you have any difficulty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still could not get on to the internet, but the information I have received due to this process has led me to the conclusion that the main problem is in my Netgear A6200 WiFi adapter; the messages that I am receiving are informing me that the adapter can not be found; i.e., it is not working. Later today I will buy a new system. Please leave this session open or provide me the means to re-establish contact
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
According to the Netgear Support, they have updated the driver to Windows 10. The issue you are facing is a known issue with Windows 10. Updating the driver should work.
Did you download and install the driver I sent you? That is the most important part.
Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later or any time you want (without any additional payment)