Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

How do I connect my new R6200 to my Verizon FIOS without

Customer Question

How do I connect my new R6200 to my Verizon FIOS without having to use the R6200 connected to the Verizon 9100EM router (router-to-router)? A friend of mine tried to set it up for me but couldn't. I tried later and found that it would connect using the 10.0.0.0 subnet. It works kinda, but I've had connectivity issues with my Galaxy Tab 4, my Galaxy Note 3, and especially my PS3. I haven't tried my BeeLink Android TV device yet and my Xbox 360 works OK, but since this was setup, it has been having other issues that don't Interfere with connectivity. My Lenovo laptop, which I am using hardwired until my desktop gets completed, seems OK, but because I have disability problems, I've not really done much with it so I'm not as sure about it as I am with my tablet, phone, and console devices.
As well as the laptop being hardwired, so is the Xbox, Sony Blu-ray player, and even the PS3. I've tried every wired/wireless connections that I can think of and the R6200 has everything I need run all my stuff. Even with the problems, it has made my devices much faster, just not reliably. I don't want to keep renting a router that, for lack of better wording, stinks. Sorry if I'm being too wordy here, but any help you can give me to connect the R6200 to my FIOS (50mb) directly, would not only help me save money, but also give me the speeds I need. Thanks in advanced and my R6200 has been registered with Netgear.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I would be better able to advise you as to what the problem is, if I knew what symptoms the unreliable connection has.
If *every* device has difficulty with the Netgear router's WiFi function (as opposed to the hard-wired connection your laptop has), and if it consists mostly of the wireless connection dropping, then you may simply have an unreliable router, that needs to be complained about / returned / exchanged. Routers are sometimes defective that way.
If even the laptop has the problem, as well as all the WiFi connected devices, then you have a different problem: either the router is defective in a different way, or else you have a bad FIOS connection and/or FIOS box, which provides halting internet (at a guess... but it depends upon the exact nature of the problem your devices have.)
Let me know specifics about the problem, using the Reply function, and I will be able to advise you more specifically. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bot***** *****ne is that what I really need to know is if/how can I connect my Netgear router directly to the FIOS Internet without using the router-to-router setup I'm using now. I don't know which router to make port settings on and I just need to make things simple. I need the gigabit and the two levels of wireless speed the Netgear gives me. If you know how to do this, that will satisfy my needs as well as help me to determine which router, if any, is causing my problems; network drops when watching TV/movies on my PS3 (hardwired, wireless buffers video all the time); wireless dropouts on my phone and tablet, both use the faster speed, the PS3 uses the lower wireless speed. Sorry I took so long to answer but I've been having issues with my disability. Because of this, I do everything I can to keep things as simple as possible. As I mentioned earlier, all I am trying to find out is how I can connect the Netgear router to the FIOS network directly. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK.

What router or network box, by maker and model #, provides your FIOS?

Is there any other network box (aside from the Netgear router) involved or in the local setup?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a Westerly model: A90-9100OEM15-10 Ultra line Series 3 and there are no other routers, besides the Netgear R6200, in the local setup. Thanks Russell.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks for the information. That Westell modem-router is indeed wireless-capable.

Your original question was:

How do I connect my new R6200 to my Verizon FIOS without having to use the R6200 connected to the Verizon 9100EM router (router-to-router)?

Do you mean by that, that you want to *not* connect the Netgear box to the Westell FIOS box, with an Ethernet cable, but rather want the two to work together wirelessly ?? because if so, that just cannot be done. Except using the Netgear router as a crippled sort of 'wireless range extender', a mere repeater for the wireless capabilities of the Westell FIOS box. And you would not find that useful, not for faster Gigabit access... ultimately the Netgear's capability would be bottlenecked by the Westell's lack of high-speed wireless capability.

If you mean something else, please be clear - what is the router-to-router configuration that you wish to avoid?

..... Also, you raised a question or issue: what causes the network to drop when watching movies over hardwired PS/3, what causes wireless to drop out on phone and tablet... the wireless dropouts could be settled fairly simply, by trying them on just the Westell's wireless alone. That way, if that drops out too, then the Westell could be defective/'broken', and if that does not drop out too, then either the Netgear is defective or, perhaps, it might be wrongly configured for best results. (Since I'm not sure how it *is* configured at present, I have to hedge that judgement a bit.)

So tell me about the router-to-router that you want to avoid, and try turning Off the Netgear and just using your phone and tablet on the Westell FIOS wireless, and see how that goes, and let me know... at your convenience of course. Take care of yourself by preference, but get back to me on this when you really can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry if I haven't been clear. I just want to use the R6200. The only way I could get the R6200 to connect through FIOS was to connect it to the Westell. The only device connected to the Westell, is the R6200. I use the R6200's wireless and hard wire ports. The Westell uses the 192.0.0.x. subnet, while the R6200 uses the 10.0.0.x subnet. This is how the Net gear app told me to setup the R6200 once the app recognized there was another router in the configuration.I wish I could send you a diagram. A picture is defiantly worth a thousand words in this case. I do not want to keep leasing the Westell from Verizon. I've more than paid for it so I got the R6200 as a replacement for the Westell.I'm sincerely ***** ***** I wasn't clear and I hope that my explanation now will make clear what I tried, and failed, to do. Too much frivolous information on my part. What I needed to say, and have said above, is that all I want is to use only the R6200 so I can give the Westell back to Verizon.Please let me know if I've been as clear as I should have when I first sought advice on doing this. Thank you for your patience and your continued effort.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the very clear and excellent description in response to my request for information.
I am not certain that what you want to be done, can be done.
Tell me: Isn't your FIOS a fiber-optic service?
If so, and if the fiber-optic cable plugs into the Westell box, then you need it, to get internet service at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really hope you got the first part of this because as I was about to clarify, that writing each of my replies takes me a long time. It's now 04:03 and I started over an hour ago...duh!Now that I've bared my failings and recognizing that the problem is more than likely simple to do, it is that info that I need to know...hence my choice to come to the pro's and pay for the answer...despite not really being able to afford too.So in a nutshell, what do I need to do to make the R6200 work as my only router. If I try to do it without a clear idea of any router settings needed or whatever, I'll get even more frustrated because in my head i know it can't be this difficult and then I'll realize, for the thousandth time, just how much I've lost. Then, as I've already done for so many other things, it'll go onto the large pile of the those things that I need to get done but can't. I have been struggling for the last year to get things right so I can live with the least amount of hassle and we're I even half of what I used to be, I wouldn't be writing my life's story to a total stranger just to get what I am sure is a simple answer.Can't help but feel that you're gonna remember this for a long time...😂. So to try and end what must be kinda frustrating for you, just tell me if the R6200 should work as the sole router on the Verizon network and what, if any steps or settings I need to take/make to do this. Even if all you know, is that it does work and is compatible, I'll take that and be happy with it. I just have to get things working reliably, as simply as is possible so I can move on to the next thing and start the process again until I get all of it done.I can't thank you enough for your patience and my apologies again, for taking up your valuable time for a really simple, for most, problem.Gary
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I have looked at the specs for your Westell.
Please tell me, where does the cable from the WAN port on the back of the Westell box, which WAN port is the Ethernet network cable port next to the power plug-in for the Westell box... where does the cable from the WAN port go?
Or, is there any cable plugged into the WAN port on the Westell, at all?
I appreciate the effort you make on this case. I have made some effort on it too.