Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I have a Motorola Surfboard 6850 Cable Modem (Time Warner)

Customer Question

I have a Motorola Surfboard 6850 Cable Modem (Time Warner) and want to add a repeater. I have a Asus N66R which has been setup to repeat but the moto won't allow it - need to config it properly.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

By repeater, what do YOU mean? Folks use this term very loosely, and I need to be sure.

Additionally, depending on what you are trying to accomplish, it may not be possible.

If you are trying to expand your wifi, why use repeater? Just setup ANOTHER access point, with same SSID rules and PW as the original, and that's it. Roaming between the AP's will happen at layer2, not layer3. You would need a controller, and homogeneous AP's for L3 roaming.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well,... I don't have ethernet on the other side of the house. If I did, I'd setup another AP as you said. Thus, I have little choice but to to create a repeater. The Time Warner cable drop is in one room (my home office) adn that's where the Surfboard Cable Modem / WiFi / Router is located.

ok...well, the repeater mode is usually setup on the root node. Meaning you really cant repeat with your setup.

However, using there is a work around, but it requires having a PC that connects wirelessly to your cable modem, and then share that connection via the Ethernet port on that PC, and connect the access point. Make sure you don't allow the PC to connect to the AP you setup.

Make sense?