Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

My windows 8.1 Lenovo computer will not connect to my

Customer Question

my windows 8.1 Lenovo computer will not connect to my reinstalled Epson XP-700 nseries printer.
I have done the whole switch off everything and turn on again.
It says printer is in error status and the printout report says network is working correctly but a router/acess point channel conflict detected
Any help gratefully received!
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is my answer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

You need to log in to your local wifi router's admin setup.

And set the channel on your WiFi router to something different than it is set to now.

And/or, set your Epson printer to communicate on the same channel as the router does.

This conflict could have happened, if you recently have either:

A. reset the router, by holding down its RESET button for over 10 seconds to several minutes continuously.

or

B. added other WiFi equipment to the local network setup

or

C. reset the printer to factory defaults, or several other similar events to the ones already mentioned.

Let me know if you need any help with further details of this process. Also, I'd be interested to hear how it turns out. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to login to my wifi router
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Simple enough. What is the maker and model # ***** your router, though? they vary a bit, you see, so I need to know in order to better advise you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Netgear 280-10986-01 (supplied by Vrgin media)
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. That one is usually at the local address

192.168.0.1

so you enter that address in your web browser to access the router's setup utility.

Then when prompted for a login, you enter

admin

as the username, and you enter either the password ***** was set for your router (which I of course cannot know), or if your router is still at its default password, you just enter this, literally:

password

as the password. It's the default for Netgear routers of this type. See also

http://m.setuprouter.com/router/netgear/vmdg280/login.htm

Let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I did all that, changed channel from auto (6) to 1 - still wont print. I have switched everything (printer, router, laptop) off, unplugged router, switched back on, tried again. Still says printer is in an error state
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Channel 1 isn't recommended. Try channel 11.
6 and 11 are the mainly used channels. After them... I'm not sure. At random, try channel 9. Then if none of those clear the error, something non-standard is wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it hasn't worked.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Have you changed anything in the local network, or added *any* device, moved anything, had someone else move anything, or otherwise has change occurred in your local network ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to reinstall the driver and the printer will work if I send from my mobile phone, it just won't print wirelessly from my laptop
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Ah! then it is the channel on your mobile phone (or, the choice set on the printer to match your mobile phone) that is the problem.
Let me know a bit more about that, and I will advise you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Russell. I haven't solved it and I have to go away for few days. I will likely contact you again on fri 7th
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The 7th it is. We'll continue then. Let me know whenever you're back to this case, and at your convenience. Thanks.