RobCat98
RobCat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

I have an ADC-v510 which I cannot get to connect using the

Customer Question

Hi, I have an ADC-v510 which I cannot get to connect using the wireless connection. I'm using an xfinity router which is set at WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES).
Category: Networking
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
Disable all wireless security on the router temporarily and confirm if the camera can connect ok. If it can, try using a different wireless security setting other than WPA2-PSK.
The full procedure for setting up this camera is:
1. Use a standard Ethernet cable (not included) to connect the camera to the network router. Then connect the camera’s AC adapter and plug it into a non-switched outlet.
2. From a PC connected to the same network, log into the Alarm.com account using Internet Explorer.
3. After logging in, type www.alarm.com/addcamera into the browser’s address bar.
If prompted by the browser, download the ActiveXcontrol. (Note that some corporate PCs allow only administrators to download ActiveX controls.)
5. Once the camera has been detected, select it from the list of available cameras and follow the on-screen instructions to add it to the Alarm.com account.
6. To configure the camera’s wireless settings when setup is complete, click on the Configure wireless network settings for this camera link and follow the on-screen instructions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already tried other security settings (just AES and others). I followed the directions about 10 times. I have reset the camera and the router more than once. When you say disconnect all other security from the router, how do I do that? I have 2 other cameras successfully connected and installed and they are impossible to get to (one is on the roof).
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You need to try setting the security setting to NONE.
Let me know if the camera then connects ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That did not work. Still won't connect.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If you have any anti-virus or firewalls set up on your computer, try temporarily disabling them, then try connecting the camera again.

If that still doesn't work, try connecting the camera to a different wireless network using a different computer to confirm the camera is working correctly.

Expert:  RobCat98 replied 1 year ago.

does it detect the cameras when they are attached by ethernet ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert, yes...camera is detected when Ethernet cable is plugged in. Camera works. Unfortunately, I didn't pay this much money on s camera to have it in my furnace room 😀. I purchased the camera from Ebay, so j doubt it will. E supported from alarm.com.
Expert:  RobCat98 replied 1 year ago.

Understood. they work a lot easier if you dont have to run a 100 foot ethernet cable :)

But you need the ethernet cable to connect to it in order to put the wifi settings in.

Does that portion of the install fail with an error or does it just stop picking them up when you remove the cable ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just stops picking it up as soon as I remove the cable.
Expert:  RobCat98 replied 1 year ago.

i havent seen the setup screen so its tough for me to say what is happening. i can offer to log in remotely and go through it with you. maybe i can see something that you are missing. i can go into the router for instance and see if the camera shows up there

thats up to you if you want me to try. there is an extra charge for the service. If the camera is defective there isnt going to be much i can do. But maybe there is a seperate procedure to add vs a new camera or they are going on a bad ip address or something like that which i can track down and fix.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not home right now. Probably not available to try this until Saturday. Perhaps we can set up an appt for Saturday am?
Expert:  RobCat98 replied 1 year ago.

that would be great.

If you want to accept the offer now i can give you my phone number now and you can call me whenever its convenient or during the week to set an exact time. Its my cell phone and you can always get me on it.