Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I have a 24v system in my airplane and have a Belkin F8J109

Customer Question

I have a 24v system in my airplane and have a Belkin F8J109 cigarette charger. How do I determine the voltage on the output side. I know there is a 2.1 usb plug, but sure about the volts and don't want to burn up a iPad or phone or other equiptment.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Your caution is commendable. The case is on the face of it somewhat uncertain, what with the Belkin device you ask about being made in Europe, perhaps for European use, but perhaps putting it into an airplane confuses the result more.
USB output voltage provided to charge device or give running power to devices, is supposed to be 5 volts.
Car batteries, even in Europe, on the other hand, are supposed to be 12 Volts, period. So, as far as its being a European-designed/produced device, the Belkin is fine in and of itself.
But: if you supply 24 volts to it, being a small and possibly simply designed device, it may well output 10 V through the USB receptacle on it. So, I do not recommend trying it in your aircraft. That might cause damage to the Belkin device (if you were lucky, and at minimum) as well as to whatever USB device of whatever type you plugged in to it. I don't think it was designed for use in an airplane, period. So it should not even be tried.
...unless you are *sure* that your airplane's cigarette lighter (which frankly I didn't know any aircraft would have in it!) is providing 12 Volts, all the time and without mistake. But for a direct connection to your aircraft's electrical system... no, I advise you not to.