Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Network Architect
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt. Certified Network Engineer/Architect
23511658

I have a Slingbox 350. It has worked well until about a week

Customer Question

I have a Slingbox 350. It has worked well until about a week ago. Now it tells me that "Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view this content". I am connected to a DirecTV box with component cables. It has not been a problem in the past
Category: Networking
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
This message should only ever show if you are using and HDMI cable. The reason is that component and composite cables do not support this type of copy protection. Is there anything connected to the the receiver through HDMI? HBO and the other premium movie channels have introduced a requirement for their resellers (sat, cable etc) to make sure that any TV that is receiving HD and is connected via HDMI supports the HDCP copy protection protocol. So when a DirecTV receiver detects that a TV is connected via HDMI, it carries out a test by sending a message to the TV using HDCP and then looks at the reply. If the TV fails the test, the receiver displays the message you see.So far so good (or so bad!). If your TV does NOT support HDCP, you can't watch HBO etc.The problem now comes if your receiver is connected to a second TV, or DVD recorder, or slingbox etc. As long as the primary TV, connected via HDMI, is "on", and it is HDCP-compliant, you leave the second output from the splitter unused.everything is OK.But if you switch the TV "off", you are not really switching it off, it's on standby. So the DirecTV box knows it is there, but now the TV fails the HDCP test, so you get the message and no-one can watch on the second TV. So if you do have something connected through HDMI anywhere, it will be detected and you'll get this message.