Nathan, System Administrator
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

My 42"hd Visio, (which is connected to my Xfinity cable box)

Customer Question

My 42"hd Visio, (which is connected to my Xfinity cable box) recognizes my home network, bwhen I select that network for a wireless connection, I get the message that it cannot connect. I know the network is working, because that's what I use to connect my computer to the Internet. Can you help me?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, me too.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
What is the full model number of the vizio?Are you saying it sees the network in the scan list, but just won't connect to it?Or it does connect, but then apps won't work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know the full serial #. It's on the back and the TV is mounted to the wall.
The TV "sees" my network, but can't connect.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I don't need the serial number, just the model number. If it won't connect there are a few possible issues. This may be a compatibility setting or issue with the router itself or (more likely) a hardware problem with the vizio, meaning the internal wifi adapter is faulty (this is very common), or the tv may just need a firmware update. As an initial step, since the tv seems to be in the same room, can you plug the tv directly into the router via a wired ethernet connection?Ideally, I'd just leave it this way, it will give a faster and more reliable connection than wifi ever would, with no configuration/settings needed either.If you can't keep it wired, the wired connection even just temporarily will give the tv a chance to automatically download the latest firmware updates, which may restore the use of the wifi connection.