Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Trying to manually setup a wireless connection to a hidden

Customer Question

Trying to manually setup a wireless connection to a hidden SSID with Windows 8. Nothing I try has worked so far. I know the correct SSID and password, using WPA2 and AES but still no luck. Are there issues with this in Windows 8 ?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am an Information Technology Professional with over 15 years of professional experience. I am the technician assigned to your case today. I look forward to working with you and resolving this problem.I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help. Generally speaking, what you did should have worked. There must be some other underlying problem.May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is for a laptop which is I don't have with me at the moment, I guess we can start by checking the general process to ensure I haven't missed anything. Can you supply those steps or provide a link to a site with good info?
I suppose I can. May I ask for the the brand and model name of your router?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ASUS RT-N66U is the router
I've connected successfully with a different machine running Windows 7 Enterprise, not sure why Windows 8 would be different.
If you were able to connect the one computer, then all should connect. Do you want to continue at a later time when you have the other computer nearby?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It'll be a while, I didn't realize we'd have to have a connection to get instructions
You used the same instructions to connect a computer that did indeed, connect. That tells me you are using the correct procedure and that the problem is more of a technical one. When do you think you can get your hands on the problem computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son has it at the moment, he's back in a couple days.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I close this until I have the machine in hand?
There's no need to close anything. I ask that you come back here when you have the computer in hand. We can continue then. Would that be okay with you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure
Thank you very much. I will be here standing by. When you are ready to continue, please come back to this same ticket online by logging into your account or by simply clicking the link that was sent to your email.