Richard, Network Specialist
Experience:  20 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

G'Day. I have a Win8.1 PC hosting PPTP. Netgear DEVG2020 router

Customer Question

G'Day. I have a Win8.1 PC hosting PPTP. Netgear DEVG2020 router has a range of predefined portforwarding rules, but no PPTP. I set up port forwarding manually to target PC by adding a "Custom Service" for 1723 + 47. Doesnt work. Disable PC firewall. No go. Test router firewall from the outside using grc.com 1723 and 47 are not "closed". IT appears the routers portforwarding rules have not happened. Tried several times. Any ideas?
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
***@******.***Cheers,
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeYou dont do 47 as this is the data path on PPTP so remove that please.The forward PPTP 1723 on both UDP AND on TCP so both are being forwarded and then tell me if the VPN works please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the below is the only remaining forwarding rules.I re-tried the connection after making the change and received error 800 on another Win81 PC (different site) using the Set up new connection wizard on Windows.# Service Name External Start Port External End Port Internl St Port Internl End Port Internal IP address
1 PPTP 1723 1723 1723 1723 192.168.15.2What strikes me as odd is that port 1723 does not appear as "closed" on GRC.com like you'd expect.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you said even if you disable the firewall it happens, so does not look to be thisPut the VPN server in the DMZDoes it still occur with the error?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Standby, The error code changed to 720 on the last attempt.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, we are getting to the heart of the problem. Please go through the below in reference to this errorError 720 - No PPP Control Protocols Configured - Case 1Symptom: When attempting to establish a VPN connection to Windows RRAS, you may receive the following error message: Error 720: No PPP control protocols configured.Cause: This behavior can occur if your computer and the RAS server do not have a protocol in common, or if RAS is not configured correctly.Resolution: Assuming the RRAS is using, you need to make the Windows client is running PPTP too. To do this follow these steps:a. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.b. Under Virtual Private Network, right-click the VPN connection, and then click Properties.c. In the VPN Connection Properties dialog box, click the Networking tab, and make sure that you have a protocol that the RAS server is running.If you do not have a protocol that the RAS server is running, add the needed protocol:a. Click Install, click Protocol, and then click Add.b. Click the protocol that you need to install, and then click OK.c. Click Close in the VPN Connection Properties dialog box. VPN Error 720 - the connection attempt failed because your computer and the remote computer could not agree on PPP control protocol - Case 2Uninstall/Reinstall the TCP/IP Protocol Symptoms: 1. When attempting to establish a VPN, you may receive the following error message during the "Registering your computer on the network":Error 720 - the connection attempt failed because your computer and the remote computer could not agree on PPP control protocol.2. If you view the devices in Device Manager, you may notice a yellow exclamation mark (!) over the icon for the WAN Miniport IP (#2) device.Resolution: To resolve this issue, uninstall the TCP/IP protocol, remove the second WAN Miniport IP device, and then reinstall the TCP/IP protocol. To do so, follow these steps:1.Uninstall the TCP/IP protocol. To do so:a.In Control Panel, double-click Network and Dial-up Connections, right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.b.Under Components checked are used by this connection, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Uninstall.c.Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall TCP/IP.d.Restart the computer when prompted, but click No if you are prompted to allow Windows to enable a protocol. 2.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.3.Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.4.On the View menu, click Show hidden devices.5.Under Network adapters, there should be no WAN Miniport IP devices. If a WAN Miniport IP device is listed, continue to the following step. If no WAN Miniport IP device is listed, go directly to step 16.6.Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK. WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.7.Locate the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}8.On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File, type backup-key in the File name box, and then click Save.Note You can restore the changes that you make to this registry key. To do so, double-click the backup-key.reg file that you saved.9.Click each of the registry subkeys under this key, and then view the Data column of theDriverDesc value to determine which of the subkeys corresponds to WAN Miniport (IP). For example, the 0005 subkey.10.Right-click the subkey whose DriverDesc value data is WAN Miniport (IP) (for example, right-click 0005), and then click Delete. Click Yes to confirm that you want to delete the key.11.Quit Registry Editor.12.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.13.Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.14.On the View menu, click Show hidden devices.15.Under Network adapters, right-click WAN Miniport (IP) and then click Uninstall. Click OK to confirm that you want to remove this device.16.Reinstall the TCP/IP protocol. To do so:a.In Control Panel, double-click Network and Dial-up Connections, right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.b.Click Install.c.In the Select Network Component Type dialog box, click Protocol, and then click Add.d.Under Network Protocol, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.e.When the protocol is installed, click Close. 17.Reset the modem by turning the power off and then on, or for an internal modem, restart the computer.18.Test your Internet connectivity.Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the PPTP server/PC.
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center. Status OK, private network connected to the internet.There are two network connections:"Network 3" for Eth0. Status OK, private network & connected to the internet. No Probs.and RAS (Dial In Interface) "No network access"When I go to "change Adapter settings" there is an "Incoming connections" network icon. -> Right click -> properties -> General (tab)In the "Incoming connections" section of the General tab."Allow incoming connections on these devices" window, it states "no hardware capable of accepting calls is installed"
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I dont exactly understand your response here.You mean you get an error indicating no hardware capable of accepting calls is installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK,RAS was not installed by default. I've been able to add it using "programs and features" rebooting both PC's now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** to the source of itLet me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmmm.. got further - "establishing connection". "verifying credentials". Then even: "completing connection". before Error 720. Encouragingly though that all happened in the space of a second like it should. I'll check the Chap and software encryption settings and see what happens.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** going to be something within the points I put before, so go through each one and find what is not setup correctly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, but I cant quite apply case 1 or case 2 properly.Case 1, after navigating to the properties, no additional protocols populate in the list for me to add.
Case 2, there are no errors on any of the WAN miniport devices.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
what protocols are now installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IPv4
File and Print
Client for MS networks
IPV6 appears, but is unticked on both host and guest.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you need to on the Virtual Private Network adapter have pptp installed,. as well as IP4 and IP6Its not going to be able to connect if you do not.Can I ask how did you go about setting up this VPN connection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Control panel-> Networking-> view connection settings-> Click "Alt" to bring up the Menu bar -> select the "file dropdown menu and select "New incomming connection"
Wizard appears -> select persons (users) for access -next-> how to connect, tick "through the internet" box. -next-> select networking software. Options include the four we listed
IPv4
IPV6
File and Print
Client for MS networksAll but IPv6 selected.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I dont understand the response and how it applies to the questions I just askI think you should go through and set this up from scratch again. It has not been set up correctly and its not anything to do with the router thats causing this.Remove everything you or however did this has done to try to set this up and follow the step by step instructions here to get this setup. You need to carefully follow eacx step else it just wont work as you see nowhttp://www.howtogeek.com/135996/how-to-create-a-vpn-server-on-your-windows-computer-without-installing-any-software/ Let me know the results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard. Will do.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same result.Thanks for your help anyway, I'll see if I can tackle this problem later.Cheers,
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, its a setting thats incorrect when your setting it up and to me it sounds like the PPTP protcol is not being installed or applied as this is the only reason left for error 720.If possible, it may be best to reinstall windows on the computer and then run the setup as I provided on the guide, if you do this from the start after a reinstal, it is going to work.I have marked the question to not close, so when you try this later, let me know the resultsIf you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.and if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.Thank you