Richard Hall
Richard Hall, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  Chief Information Officer at Spectrum Contracting Serv.
77993500

Just got a used ricoh c5000, the color is way off register,

Customer Question

Just got a used ricoh c5000, the color is way off register, when I go to maintenance and try to perform a color register, it works for a minute and then comes back and says it cannot perform color registration. the login logout button does absolutely nothing, an when I try to login from a computer, I cannot login at admin, it keeps saying wrong password, I login as supervisor and try to change the password, however it will not save the changes.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard Hall replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** reset the ricoh to the factory defaults for the system and/or the copier???That's probably the first thing I would do prior to performing maintenance and etc... System Setting ResetThe system settings in the UP mode can be reset to their defaults. Use the following procedure.1. Press User Tools/Counter .2. Hold down the '#' key and then press System Settings.3. Press yes when the message prompts you to confirm that you want to reset the system settings.4. Press exit when the message tells you that the settings have been reset.
Copier Setting ResetUse the following procedure to reset the copy settings in the UP mode to their defaults.1. Press User Tools/Counter .2. Hold down '#' key and then press Copier/Document Server Settings.3. Press “Yes” when the message prompts you to confirm that you want to reset the Copier DocumentServer settings.4. Press exit when the message tells you that the settings have been reset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done as you have suggested, however I still cannot do a color registration,
Are you able to log in properly now?
One step that probably has not been performed in a while is cleaning the toner density sensor, which is a common cause of this problem.It is behind the printer cartridge. You remove the cartridge and slide it to the left.I've attached a picture for reference. That should solve your issue.Give that a shot and let me know if that corrected the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to make sure we are on the same page, this is the c5000 COLOR copier. I assume there are 4 printer cartridges?
Yes, it should be behind the rearmost cartridge. I'll double check the layout and make sure the sensor is where I think it should be.
This should be the layout of the cartridges for your copier, just to double check....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That looks basically like my layout yes,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I see our problem, the diagram you sent me is for the printer, I have the copier, you do not access the print cartriges from above, they are located below the toner bottles.
The original one...yes? I'm trying to determine the location of the density sensor for the C5000, now that I've verified the layout. After a reset, did the login issues get corrected?
I'm on hold with my Ricoh Rep. I will hopefully have answer for you shortly.Do you have the serial number handy in case they require it?
After speaking with Ricoh, the sensor is located underneath the machine, and they suggested having a rep perform the maintenance. However, if you can locate it, you can try that yourself. I would recommend removing and reinstalling each toner cartridge and try re-running the auto configuration if you have not already done so. That might correct the issue, but I am leaning towards the sensor. I would try re-seating the cartridges first before trying to locate the sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I was working with a customer and was gone for a bit, I have reset each cartrige and still not luck, no I still cannot login as admin either. I am pretty handy with these machines, if you can give me the instructions for cleaning the sensor, I feel confident about doing that. Thanks
I can't seem to find a schematic which shows the exact location. Rather than put you in the position for a service rep visit and cost, being that we probably have someone on JustAnswer that might know the location and the proper method to clean, I'll release this back to the queue so someone can provide a quicker solution. But I believe we are moving in the right direction, although I'm surprised the factory reset did not fix your login issues.Thanks,Richard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I have an update, I have gotten the color registration fixed, it was not the sensor, I was able to go into service mode and perform sp2-111-3 which is a line position adjustment, once that ran, then the auto color register ran just fine. However I still cannot login.
Have you tried the following credentials:Username: adminPassword: Blank Or try:Username: supervisorpassword: blankThat's the default that should have been set when we performed the reset function, if done properly. Which I'm sure you probably did. THanks,Richard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to log in as supervisor, then I went to change the login for admin, but it won't change. I was wondering it there could be an issue with the network not sending the information correctly. Can I login to administrator tool through a USB connection.
I am currently using ethernet
I would try entering service mode and clearing the admin password ***** way.I believe that should get your admin account situation cleared up.As far as USB, I don't think it to be a matter of connection type.Give service mode a try and I think you'll have this whipped.Thanks,Richard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know the sp number for that, I could not find it in my book
I'm looking for the sp but, that's odd you can't perform the changed logged in as supervisor. That account supersedes all.Can you tell me exactly what happened when you tried?
Are you getting an "in use" message coming from the user tool display? That will hang up the password *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It acts like it has changed the password, however when I try to login as admin, it still says authentication has failed
Did you try just changing the password ***** admin to blank just to simplify things?If that works then you could try again with a real password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I tried that, any luck on finding the sp for the password ***** I found password ***** I am not sure what that is???
Try 5810, it should be for memory clear it should state that during the process of execution. If it says something else, I would stop right there.The password ***** is just throwing random passwords until a match is found. I would only recommend that method as a last resort. Richard