IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have a Gateway NV57H77U laptop. It's not connecting to the

Customer Question

I have a Gateway NV57H77U laptop. It's not connecting to the internet, though another laptop and cell phone do connect. "Windows Network Diagnostics" says, "Wireless capability is turned off"
Category: Networking
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Please tell me if Windows 7 is installed on your Gateway laptop or another Windows version?
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anyone there?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Please wait while I write you the instructions on how to enable the wireless network adapter since it seems to be disabled.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'm waiting. I'm typing you from a different computer than the computer that is having the internet connection problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phone number is(###) ###-####in case the internet connection is interrupted
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Please follow these instructions to enable the wireless network adapter:
1. Click the Windows Start button and then click on Control Panel. There click on "Network and Internet" and then on "Network and Sharing Center"
2. Click on "Change adapter settings" located on the left side
3. You will see a list of installed network adapters. Locate the one that is named "Wireless Network Connection" and right-click it and select "Enable". Once enabled, you should be able to connect to a wireless network as before
In case you don't see the "Enable" option, but only "Disable", it means the adapter has already been enabled. In that case, you will need to use the keyboard shortcut keys to fully enable the wireless network adapter. So, please press the Fn and F3 keys at the same time. The Fn key is located near the Windows logo key in the upper left corner of the keyboard and F3 is located right above the number 3 key. Once you have pressed Fn and F3 keys, check if you can now connect to a wireless network.
Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clicked on the Windows start button. I don't see a "Network and Internet". There is "Internet Options", Network and Sharing Center
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK, you can click on "Network and Sharing Center" and then continue from the step 2.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In "Network and Sharing Center" there is no "Change Adapter Settings"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, it's on the upper left
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it's on the left side as I wrote.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under "Network Connections", there is not an option that says "Enable"
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
The Network Connection is a section that will list all installed adapters. You should see "Local Area Network" and "Wireless Network Connection" adapters.
Right-click on "Wireless Network Connection" adapter and click Enable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under Network Connections, one says "Local Area Connection" and says, "Network cable unplugged".The onther one says, "Wireless Network Connection", and it says, "Not Connected"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Right clicked on "Wireless Network Connection", but there is no "Enable"
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK. Please proceed with the wireless network keyboard shortcut instructions I mentioned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I pressed the Fn F3 keys, the only thing that happened was that the "Wireless Network Connection" box flickered
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Wireless Network Connection still says "Not connected"
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
After you have pressed the Fn and F3 keys, please right-click on "Wireless Network Connection" and select Connect / Disconnect.
You should then see a list of available wireless networks located in the bottom right corner where you can select your wireless network to connect to.
If you don't see such list, press the Fn and F3 keys again, and then select Connect / Disconnect again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that. I'm not getting a list of available connections. I just get a box in the lower right corner saying "not connected"
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Please run Windows Network Diagnostics again. If you still see the same message, please check if there is "Apply Fix" option available. If it is, click it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you mean "troubleshoot"?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did that and I don't see and "apply fix" option
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Does it still say "Wireless capability is turned off" or something else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still off. There is another option "System Restore Point"
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Please click the Windows Start button and then start typing mobility center in the search box. Click on the Windows Mobility Center icon appeared under the search results.
It will open a window with several options. Please check if you can click on "Turn wireless on" for the Wireless Network.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'll try that. It will be several minutes.I do have a backup of the hard drive. If something fails, I've restored the entire c drive from the external drive. I tried the system restore, and now I'm waiting for it to process
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Sure, you can restore from the backup you had created, but first check if you can solve the problem without restoring from the backup.
So, check with Windows Mobility Center.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's still processing the Windows "System Restore".
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started "System Restore" before you mentioned "Windows Mobility".
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I noticed. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This "System Restore" said that it is restoring it to the 07-17-15 date that says, "Microsoft Critical Update. 07-17-15 was during a time when a technician was working on this computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Well, something caused this problem with the wireless connectivity.
Let me know if System Restore helped undo those changes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, if this "System Restore" doesn't work, I maybe should try my "Acronis Backup" program and restore the hard drive to a previous backup that I did yesterday. If I remember right, when I backed it up, the internet was working. This may take a while... Is there a way to contact you back if it doesn't restore the internet connection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it is done with the System Restore and it is rebooting
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK.
You can go back to this web page any time and send me a message, and I will respond.
For easier access, you can bookmark (save to favorites) this link:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer-networking/97gui-gateway-nv57h77u-laptop-it-s-not-connecting.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The internet connection did not work after the System Restore. I'll restore the computer using Acronis Backup to restore the computer to what it was like yesterday. I'll contact you if necessary.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Take a quick check in Windows Mobility Center before you proceed with Acronis Backup.
There click on "Turn wireless on".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I did check the Windows Mobility Center just after the Windows Restore, but it wouldn't enable wireless connection.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hold on, let's try with one more suggestion.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
You can uninstall current wireless network drivers and then re-install them. That should reset all wireless network settings.
To do that, follow these instructions:
1. Right-click the Computer icon and select Manage
2. Click on the Device Manager located on the left pane. There expand the Network adapters and locate wireless network adapter - it should say Intel WLAN or Qualcomm Atheros or Ralink or Realtek, or anything with the words "wireless", "wifi" or "wlan". If you see "Gigabit Network Connection" next to Intel, it represents the wired network adapter (LAN) so don't make changes to this one
Once you have located your wireless network adapter, right-click its name and select Uninstall. Check the "Delete the driver software for this device" check-box if it is available
3. Confirm by clicking OK and once you see it has disappeared from the list, restart your computer
4. When your computer restarts, it will automatically re-detect the wireless network adapter and re-install the drivers
5. After that, check if the wireless network is working
Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under "Network Adapters" there are two.... Atheros AR5897 Wireless Network Adapter ...and.... Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
"Atheros AR5897 Wireless Network Adapter" is your wireless network adapter. Uninstall that one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I also delete the driver software?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I did that, now it's rebooting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't connecI Also I went into Windows Mobility Center and it didn't work. I'll do the Acronis restore to yesterday's backup; that is a clean backup... The internet was working prior to that
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like a good solution. I am not sure what else to suggest you regarding the fixing this problem.
Hopefully, the Acronis Backup will solve the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** ...All part of troubleshooting. Thank you for sticking in there. I'll let you know one way or the other. Please take care.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome!
Take care as well.
For any other computer-related issue, feel free to let me know. I will do my best to help you.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!
I am following up with you to check how restoring from the Acronis backup went.
Is your laptop fully functional now?