Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I had my telephone carrier install ethernet to eliminate wireless

Customer Question

I had my telephone carrier install ethernet to eliminate wireless which was getting hacked. He spent a lot of time putting in red, green black 7 yellow wires in the kiychen jack. Then when I plugged in the phone, it did not work, he had installed a new jack behind the wall of the kitchen jack. Why would it not work plugged directly into the original wall jack in the kitchen?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The answer depends upon the type of your phone. If it were an IP phone, then it has been wired up incorrectly, simply, in all likelihood.
If your phone is a common phone with only 6 wires at most in its connector, cable, or jack, then you have probably been wired up with Ethernet, which though you can put a common phone jack into its connector, will *not* work with it. You can tell the mistake, by the jack being wider than a phone jack, and the phone jack fits into it with room on either side, the common phone jack being a narrower though otherise similar connector.
7 wires? that sounds like Ethernet, which usually has 8 wires. Common phone lines never have 8 wires, I think it's safe to say - except certain types of office phones, that use Ethernet wires to communicate with their 'phone system box' that manages the whole office phone system.
The answer really depends upon the type of phone you have in your kitchen. But I hope I have explained enough to cover both types of phone.