Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

Have switched from IE to Chrome and have been experiencing

Customer Question

Have switched from IE to Chrome and have been experiencing a problem with the D-Link DIR-815 router dropping the internet connection. Have to "reboot" router to reconnect. I this a possible Chrome problem? Did not have the "drop off" problem with IE.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I think the first thingquestion you need to determine in such a problem is, Would be the problem really be with Chrome and not with IE or with something common to the two? When the Chrome connection seems to have dropped, open the IE browser you have on the same computer, and see if IE connects, to the same web page address that Chrome dropped or refused to bring up, OK... or not. That would determine whether the problem is in Chrome, or elsewhere, if you repeat that test two or three time. Does the router itself drop the connection, i.e. does the PC go offline? to me, that's the next question, since D-Link is IMHO not one of the very most reliable brands of router. To find out if the computer goes offline, once you have seen whether IE also fails to bring up the particular web page at that moment, open a Command Prompt window, and enter this command:IPCONFIGand press the RETURN key, once. You should get an indication in the response to that command, as to whether you are still connected by wireless ... or not. Let me know what you find out, please, and I will advise you further, depending upon what is found out by these means. I suspect that the D-Link router has become prone to drop the WiFi connection (a common problem with defective routers). Or else, perhaps, that there is a source of occasional radio noise interference in the locality that causes the connection to drop.(Do you have any other WiFi device that also connects to the WiFi router at the same time, or could? if so, use it to also help determine whether the problem is in Chrome or on the PC, versus the problem being with the D-Link box's ability to maintain WiFi connections for whatever reason.)