Nathan, System Administrator
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

Trying to get my Samsung smart tv to work. Haven't used it

Customer Question

Trying to get my Samsung smart tv to work. Haven't used it for a long time. When I try to connect it to my router it says - physical connection established but not working, check the TV or connected devices network setting
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you tell me where you're seeing this message? Are you using wifi or ethernet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wifi. I see it after I ask the tv to connect to my router and put in my router password. It comes up on my tv screen
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, how far is the tv from your router?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wifi. One wall away. It has worked before just haven't used it for awhile. It was originally asking for some sort of password ***** I first tried using it today. I could remember what password ***** used so I reset it and can't get it to connect now
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Well if it is getting to this point, it is connecting to the router, meaning a LAN connection, but not able to connect through to the internet. That is usually the result of outdated firmware. I was going to suggest, if it is close enough, plugging into the router direct via ethernet, which is more easily updated automatically.If that isn't an option, we'll need to manually update the firmware next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not close enough
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Go here: http://bit.ly/1I4GWaNScroll down to the DOWNLOADS, and click the first 2 items there. One is the instructions, the other is the update file.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to be on a computer? I'm on my iphone
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the update has to be done via the computer. You have to download the update file to your computer, copy it to a usb memory stick, then install that to the tv.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have usb memory stick. I can get one tomorrow. Can I use and external harddrive?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
A hard drive is going to be too big, the tv won't recognize it.And it has to be blank, I'm assuming you wouldn't want to completely erase/format your external drive.Just bookmark/favorite this page and you can get back in touch with me tomorrow if/when needed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Chances are the firmware update will fix the problem. If it still has issues though there are some other settings we can adjust on the tv and possibly on the router as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome, and best of luck to you.Nathan