Nathan, System Administrator
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

Can it be setup with a verizon hotspot without ethernet cable/ my pc is running off a ho

Customer Question

can it be setup with a verizon hotspot
without ethernet cable/ my pc is running off a hotspot. will connecting pc to security recorder with ethernet cable work?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. What device are you trying to connect here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bunker hill sercurity model h264
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
The dvr really needs a proper internet connection (ethernet based) directly to the router to function. While it is possible to route it through your computer, that is not a route I'd recommend. It is overly complicated, prone to interruptions, will slow your computer down, and anytime the computer has an issue, restarts, etc it will cause problems for the dvr.What you'd have to do is configure software on the computer to issue an ip address to the ethernet card in the pc, and then you'd need to bridge your wired and wifi connections on the pc. It would make more sense to purchase an external device such as a wifi bridge, that can connect on its own to the hotspot via wifi, then provide an ethernet connection to the dvr: http://amzn.to/1O7h3avThis will be faster and more stable in the long run as well.